Clinical Associate Professor
Department of Pharmacy Practice and Translational Research
Graduate Program Director, MS - Pharmacy Leadership and Administration
University of Houston College of Pharmacy
Health 2, Room 4027
4349 Martin Luther King Boulevard
Houston, TX 77204-5039
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org - 832-842-8360
Health-System Pharmacy Administration:
- Achieving operational efficiency and excellence
- Outcomes related to expansion of clinical pharmacy services
- Personnel development and management
- Development of self-awareness, reflection and communication skills to create successful professionals
- PGY1/PYG2, Health-System Pharmacy Administration Residency, Ohio State Wexner Medical Center, Columbus, OH
- Master of Science, Health-System Pharmacy Administration, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
- Doctor of Pharmacy, Purdue University School of Pharmacy, West Lafayette, IN
- Wanat M, Varkey DA, Sulaica EM, Thornton KA, Thornton JD. Does Social Desirability Influence Preceptors' Completion of Student Experiential Evaluations? Am J Pharm Educ. 2020 Sep;84(9):ajpe7949. doi: 10.5688/ajpe7949. PMID: 33012802; PMCID: PMC7523664.
- Smith DV, Gautreaux S, Gulbis AM, Bruno JJ, Garey K, Roux RK, Varkey D. Program development of a preceptor bootcamp for operational pharmacy preceptors. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2020 Feb 19;77(Supplement_1):S2-S7. doi: 10.1093/ajhp/zxz289. PMID: 31950136.
- N Deyhim, SB Bhakta, AC Varkey, DL Metzen, D Varkey, RJ Martinez, KW Garey. Systemization of a pharmacy technician career ladder in a multi-hospital system. Exploratory Research in Clinical and Social Pharmacy. Accepted June 16, 2019
- Bhakta SB, Colavecchia AC, Haines L, Varkey D, Garey KW. A systematic approach to optimize electronic health record medication alerts in a health system. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2019 Apr 8;76(8):530-536. doi: 10.1093/ajhp/zxz012. PMID: 31361861.
- Haines LA, Putney KS, Varkey DA, Frost C, Pitman EP, Aparasu RR, Garey KW. Pilot of a patient-centered pharmacy practice model. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2012 Nov 1;69(21):1860-1. doi:10.2146/ajhp120132. PMID: 23111668.
- 2021 University of Houston College of Pharmacy Service Award
- 2018 Phi Lambda Sigma Faculty Leadership Award
- 2017 TSHP Special Recognition Award for Educational Service
- 2015 Baylor St. Luke's Medical Center Quarterly Mission Leader Award
- Texas Society of Health-System Pharmacists
- Board of Directors Member (2020-2022)
- Educational Affairs Council Chair (2020-2022)
- Educational Affairs Council Member (2019-2020)