The University of Houston College of Pharmacy has a long-running tradition and commitment to developing the next generation of leaders in research through its professional pharmacy and graduate degree programs, residency/fellowship programs and postdoctoral training opportunities.
Yet, UHCOP also has well-established history in the successful training and development within the college-based laboratories of future researchers, scholars and clinicians from undergraduate and graduate academic programs outside of the college through the supervision and mentorship of award-winning UHCOP faculty members.
Here are a few examples of non-UHCOP undergraduate and graduate students who've acheived success in college labs:
- Olivia Tran, UH Honors Biomedical Sciences, 2020 UH Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF), 2021 UH Provost's Undergraduate Research Scholarship (PURS), presented at the American Association for Cancer Research (AACR) – Undergraduate Student Caucus and Poster Competition 2021, coauthor of "A novel peptidomimetic therapeutic for selective suppression of lung cancer stem cells over non-stem cancer cells" published in Bioorganic Chemistry (Impact Factor 5.3)
- Francisco Blanco, UH Honors Biochemical and Biophysical Sciences (B.S.), Student Poster Presentation Award & Travel Award, Annual Biomedical Research Conference for Minority Students, 2016
- Ahad Azimuddin, UH Honors Biomedical Sciences, Audience Choice Award, 11th Annual UH Undergraduate Research Day, 2015
- Chalada Suebsuwong, Chemistry (Ph.D.), Robert A. Magarian Outstanding Podium Presentation Award, MALTO Medicinal Chemistry Meeting, 2015
- Chalada Suebsuwong, Chemistry (Ph.D.), Thomas L. Lemke Outstanding Student Poster Presentation, MALTO Medicinal Chemistry Meeting, 2013
UHCOP Programs for Undergraduate and/or Graduate Students
Asghar Memorial Undergraduate Summer Research Fellowship – A summer fellowship program for UH undergraduate students with little or no laboratory research experience to work in the laboratory of a UHCOP Department of Pharmacological & Pharmaceutical Sciences faculty member.
Cancer Research Education Program (C-REP) – A National Cancer Institute-funded collaboration between UHCOP and the Dan L. Duncan Compehensive Cancer Cancer at Baylor College of Medicine is focused on elucidating and reducing cancer disparities and developing future cancer researchers among underrepresented populations.
Cougars in Cancer Research (CiCR) – The yearlong Cougars in Cancer Research program provides transdisciplinary, real-world research experience and mentorship combined with professional and career development activities to prepare UH undergraduate participants for future careers in cancer research.
Cougar Health Research Academy – A UHCOP Institute of Community Health and Houston Health Department collaboration, the academy prepares participants to volunteer in their communities as part of public health preparedness and natural disaster management efforts as well as exposure to a variety of career opportunities in public health.
Incubator of Racial Equity in STEM Education (IRESE) – The program provides UH Arab-American undergraduate students pursuing STEM majors the opportunity to mentor and tutor Arab refugee and recent Arab immigrant high school students in an effort to not only give academic and social support to mentees, but also encourage pursuit of STEM education and careers.
UH Research Education Programs for Undergraduate and/or Graduate Students & Resources
UH Houston Experience for Advancing Research and Training (UH-HEART)
Office of Undergraduate Research
Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF)
Provost's Undergraduate Research Scholarship (PURS)
Houston Early Research Experience (HERE)
UH Graduate School