Skip to main content

Prospective Graduate Student FAQs

Basic Program Information

How long are the programs?

  • Master of Architecture-Level 1 Professional Program: 3 years full-time
  • Master of Architecture-Level 2 Professional Program: 2 years full-time
  • Master of Science in Architecture-Advanced Study Program: 1 year full-time
  • Master of Arts in Architectural Studies-Advanced Study Program: 1 year full-time
  • Master of Science in Industrial Design-Advanced Study Program

Do I need a background in Architecture to apply to the Graduate Program?

The Master of Architecture-Level 1 Professional Program is for students who do not have a background in architecture and are seeking professional licensure. Please visit the Master of Architecture Level I page for more information.

The Master of Arts in Architectural Studies-Advanced Study program is for students who do not have a background in architecture and do NOT seek professional licensure. Please visit the Master of Arts in Architectural Studies page for more information.

Are there any prerequisites for the Graduate Program?

Yes, any student applying for admission into a Master's degree program must earn a Bachelor's degree—although it does not have to be in Architecture—prior to enrollment. The Bachelor's degree must be awarded by an accredited educational institution.

Level 1 Professional Program applicants are highly encouraged, but not required, to take courses in Physics, Calculus, and Creative Arts to help enhance visual creativity when putting their portfolios together.

Is the program accredited?

The Master of Architecture Level I & II Professional Programs are accredited through the National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB). The three advanced study programs are not accredited.

Can I apply as a transfer student?

Students wishing to transfer into the Graduate Program from another institution should follow the same application steps as a “regular” applicant. If admitted, the Graduate Director will evaluate the applicant's transcripts and course descriptions to determine if content can be waived. Please visit the Domestic Graduate Admission page for more information.

Test Scores

Do you have a minimum acceptable GRE score requirement?

There is no minimum GRE score requirement for admission. Test scores are evaluated and taken into consideration along with all other required application materials. Admission offers are based on the merit of all application materials.

Cost of Attendance

How much does the Graduate Program cost?

Tuition and fees vary from year to year. Students are charged according to the number of hours enrolled during a semester along with applicable college fees, additional course fees, and student fees. For updated figures, please consult the University’s tuition and fee guide.

Does the Graduate Program offer scholarships?

All students are considered for merit-based scholarships as a part of the admissions review process. No additional application materials are necessary.

The College of Architecture and Design also has an annual scholarship application. All students, regardless of their admission classification (i.e. domestic or international students) are encouraged to apply for available scholarships that are administered through the College of Architecture and Design. The application is sent out via e-mail each year.

Does the Graduate Program offer instructional assistantships?

This type of financial aid is offered through the College of Architecture and Design on a limited basis. Students new to the College of Architecture and Design are advised to apply for these assistantships after they have completed their first semester or year in the program. Typically, students must have shown a proficiency in English as well as comprehension of the subject matter for the course they intend to assist before they are assigned a course.

Could I be considered for need-based financial aid?

U.S. Citizens and permanent residents can seek need-based aid through the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid. This type of assistance requires completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).


Is the GRE required?

Yes. All applicants to graduate programs must submit official Graduate Record Exam (GRE) results. Results are considered official if received by ETS.

Can I submit Letters of Recommendation and/or my resume with my portfolio?

Letters of Recommendation are not required from references but may be submitted directly to the College of Architecture and Design if preferred by the recommender. A resume may be included in the portfolio.

Do I submit transcripts from every school that I’ve attended or just from the school where I received my undergraduate degree?

Please submit 2 official transcripts from the institution from which you earned your undergraduate degree.

Do I need to submit transcripts of my previous attendance at any of the UH campuses?

Yes. All applicants should submit official transcripts no matter where they last attended.

Can I submit application items after the January 1st deadline?

The online application must be completed and submitted by January 1st.  GRE test scores may be submitted until April 1st.

Can I submit a Letter of Financial Backing after being accepted to the University instead of with the admissions application?

The Letter of Financial Backing is required for visa-processing purposes. This document may be submitted after an admission offer is extended. However, applicants should note that late submissions may delay the timely processing of the I-20 which is needed to apply for the F-1 student visa.

When will I find out if I'm accepted?

Admissions decisions are made on a rolling basis. The Admissions Committee reviews all applicants' completed files depending on how soon the application materials are received. Applicants who have complete files (i.e. all scores, transcripts, references, and portfolio have been received) will be reviewed first. Incomplete files will be reviewed once all application materials are received. All applicants will be notified of the admission decision via e-mail.

Are applicants allowed entry on a conditional admission?

The College of Architecture and Design does not offer conditional admission. No guarantees of admission are made before or at the time of application.

Is it possible to defer?

The College of Architecture and Design does not permit deferrals. Students who cannot attend in the semester admitted must re-apply.

Why was I denied acceptance?

Applying to any school is similar to applying for a job. Depending on the applicant pool for an admissions cycle, some applicants will not be selected. Applicants are encouraged to submit applications, portfolios and additional materials as early as possible. Items not received in a timely manner will also delay the decision-making process.

What do I need to submit to reapply?

You will need to repeat the application process with the exception of test scores. TOEFL scores are valid for 2 years after the test date; GRE scores are also valid for 2 years.