The College of Architecture and Design’s graduate admissions deadlines, by program, are as follows:
- Master of Architecture Level I & II: January 1st (Fall admission only)
- Master of Science in Architecture: January 1st (Fall admission only)
- Master of Arts in Architectural Studies: January 1st (Fall admission only)
- Master of Science in Industrial Design: Applicants may now apply for spring admission AS WELL AS fall admission.
- Spring application deadline is October 1st.
- Fall Application deadline is January 1st.
The GRE requirement has been waived for all applicants for the Fall 2021 admission cycle.
How to Apply
Candidates interested in attending the College of Architecture and Design should begin by applying online here.
The application process is conducted entirely online and documents should be submitted through the application portal available on the UH Graduate School website.
Required application documents include:
- $50.00 application fee payable to the University of Houston. This must be paid online.
- Official transcript showing undergraduate degree conferral.
- Portfolio; PDF file not to exceed 50MB.
- Statement of Intent. This should be included as a part of the portfolio submission. It can also be uploaded as a Creative Writing Sample if the candidate does not have another sample of this type of writing to share.
The portfolio helps the admissions review committee determine an applicant’s potential for success in a studio-based design curriculum. Evidence of creative work is not limited to Architecture or Industrial Design. Examples of creative work may include designs, drawings, photographs, paintings, sculpture, writing, or other creative pursuits. Please include a brief explanation of the work submitted.
Portfolios must be uploaded as a part of the online application.
- Files should be uploaded as one PDF (not to exceed 50 MB).
The organization of the portfolio is a design exercise. It should be clear, concise, and thoughtfully composed to best reflect the applicant’s interests and skills. The quality of the work is of greater importance than the quantity.
Master of Architecture — Level I (+3)
Master of Arts in Architectural Studies
A portfolio submission is not required for Level 1 (+3) applicants. However, if applicants have creative or design work to share, it is encouraged. The portfolio is not expected to show architectural skills. Rather, it should contain work that demonstrates facility with a variety of media and illustrates three-dimensional understanding. Applicants may demonstrate their creative, artistic, and perceptual skills through painting, sculpture, or other three-dimensional explorations. Photography as an example of creative work must demonstrate intention in composition, color/light, or other critical points of view.
Master of Architecture — Level II (+2)
Master of Science in Architecture
Master of Science in Industrial Design
Applicants should submit examples of work demonstrating an ability to pursue study at an advanced level. The portfolio should be of high quality and provide evidence of well-developed graphic skills, a sense of design, and an understanding of space, form, and volume at different scales. The review committee assumes the portfolio represents the applicant’s best abilities in design.