The University of Houston Staff Council and the Women and Gender Resource Center are dedicated to providing opportunities for staff members to advance their education.
In an effort to simplify the application process and to promote the wider distribution of the available scholarships, Staff Council and the Women and Gender Resource Center are pleased to announce that we have combined the applications.
By completing one application, you will have applied for both scholarships.
The Women and Gender Resource Center provides five $1,000 scholarships and the Staff Council provides ten $1,000 scholarships to employees who plan to attend degree or job-related academic credit classes during the fall, spring, or summer semesters at the University of Houston.
The application deadline has been extended to May 9, 2022, at 5 PM.
2022-2023 Applications Deadline: May 9th at 5 PM
To be considered for these two gender-neutral scholarships, the staff member must meet the following criteria.
- Must be employed in a full-time, benefits-eligible position at the UH Main, UH at Katy, or UH at Sugar Land campus for at least one year as of March 1st of this current year.
- Must have a cumulative grade point average of 2.5 or higher.
- Must demonstrate a strong commitment to academic excellence and the potential to succeed.
How to Apply
Each applicant shall submit an application packet containing the following information by May 9, 2022, at 5 PM. (Incomplete packets will not be reviewed).
- Complete and submit the scholarship application form and upload all other documents listed below in PDF format. Log in to MS Forms using your Cougarnet credentials.
- Application cover sheet (Signed by UH staff member).
- Typed essay (maximum one page, double-spaced, 12-point font, no exception) explaining career goals (professional objectives) and personal statement (why you believe you should receive this scholarship).
- Two letters of recommendation. Letters should be as specific as possible.
- Your resume. The resume should include awards, honors, achievements, work experience, and activities.
- Most recent transcripts of the student. The transcript does not need to be an official copy, but it must be legible.
If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com.
Selection and Award Process
A Staff Council/Women and Gender Resource Center committee ranks the applications in a blind review process and selects the top fifteen applicants to receive scholarships proportional to the number of applicants at each degree level (undergraduate or graduate).
- The scholarship is credited to the recipient’s UH academic account when proof of registration is received.
- The scholarship is credited to an academic course (not audit or continuing education) for UH credit during the 2022-2023 fiscal year (Fall 2022, Spring 2023, or Summer 2023).
- The scholarship can only be applied during the academic year for which it is awarded and cannot be moved forward. Any recipient who cannot utilize the scholarship within the year should notify the UH Staff Council Scholarship Committee or the Women and Gender Resource Center. Recipients must still be employed by the University on the first day of class of the semester in which they take the class.
- A previous recipient may re-apply annually for these Scholarships. The recipient may receive only one scholarship each year.
2020 - 2021 Staff Council Scholarship Recipients
Michael Ahlf Sarah Noelle Cantu
Caitlin Deis Kaitlyn Dempsey
Paul Durisseau Caroline Neary
Kevin C. Nguyen Margarita Perez Frinsco
Ellen Shaw Elizabeth Vanessa Vasquez
Past Staff Council Scholarship Recipients
2019 - 2020 Staff Council Scholarship Recipients
Lan Chi Nguyen
2018 - 2019 Staff Council Scholarship Recipients
Candace Guy Anzaldua
2017 - 2018 Staff Council Scholarship Recipients
2016 - 2017 Staff Council Scholarship Recipients
Tan Feng Pao
Past WGRC Scholarship Recipients
2020 - 2021 Women & Gender Resource Center Advisory Committee Scholarship Recipients
Virginia Y. Hernandez Alanna Carlon Khubieh
Lan Chi Nguyen Hope Pacheco
Dina Michele Padovan