The University of Houston Staff Council is an advisory body to the President of the University and the University administration. Staff Council consists of elected staff members from each division who represent the entire staff body.
2022 Election Results
2022 Detailed Results
The names in bold are the winners of the 2022 Staff Council Elections.
At-Large (1 open position)
Candidate % Vote Trina Silva 64.2% Stefanie Florencio 33.9% Write-in candidates 1.8%
Academic Affairs (5 open positions)
Candidate % Vote Erica Barreraz-Mahan 11.4% Callista Brown 6.1% Seth Evans 14.6% Genny Lee 11.2% Emily Merrell 10.4% Elsie Myers 13.4% Melissa Nieto 12.7% Kellie Sager 5.9% Shanequea White 14.3% Write-in candidates 0.0%
Administration & Finance (3 open positions)
Candidate % Vote Jacqueline Chee 23.1% Ron Gonyea 21.1% Allyson McDonald 14.5% Sharon Pellas 23.6% Courtney Washington 16.1% Write-in candidates 1.7%
Student Affairs & Enrollment Services (1 open position)
Candidate % Vote Janelle Brown 66.7% Sabrina Grant 33.3% Write-in candidates 0.0%
Tilman J. Fertitta Family College of Medicine (1 open positions)
Candidate % Vote Lupita Curiel 100.0% Write-in candidates 0.0%
There were no open positions in the following Divisions for the 2022 Staff Council Elections:
- Office of the President
- Division of Research
- University Advancement
- University Marketing, Communications and Media Relations
View the Voters' Guide for information on candidates by division.
2022 Staff Council Elections
Open Positions by Division
Below is the apportionment by division. Divisions of the Chancellor/President, Division of Research, University Advancement, and University Marketing and Communications have no openings for this year's election.
Division Total for
At-Large 3 1 Academic Affairs 15 5 Administration & Finance 10 3 Chancellor/President 2 0 Tilman J. Fertitta College of Medicine 1 1 Division of Research 1 0 Student Affairs and Enrollment Services 4 1 University Advancement 1 0 University Marketing and Communications 1 0
Staff Council Member Responsibilities
Staff Council members are expected to:
- Attend monthly meetings of the Council on the first Thursday of each month.
- Commit five to seven hours per month to Council business and activities.
- Actively participate on two or more Staff Council committees or subcommittees.
- Disseminate information from Staff Council meetings to the staff within their specific area.
- Interact with staff to ensure that issues, concerns, or ideas are brought forth to the appropriate administrator for action.
- Participate in staff and campus events.
The nominee must be a benefits-eligible (50% FTE or greater) staff member employed at UH for no less than one year (start date of 9/1/2021 or earlier).
The 2022 Staff Council Elections ran from Wednesday, June 15, 2022, 6:00 a.m. to Friday, July 8, 2022, 5:00 p.m.
In order to vote during elections, voters:
- Must be benefits-eligible (50% FTE or greater) staff members.
- Must know their CougarNet account username and password.
- May cast their vote for no more than the number of open positions available for their division and for one At-Large candidate.
- May write-in one candidate for their division (if it has open positions) and one At-Large candidate.
- May cast their vote from any device with internet access or at any of the additional polling sites.
- May only vote once. The online voting site will reject any voter’s attempt to go through the voting system more than once.