The University of Houston Staff Council is an advisory body to the President of the University and the University administration. Staff Council consists of elected staff members from each division who represent the entire staff body.
2021 Staff Council Elections Results
The names in bold are the winners of the 2021 Staff Council Elections. For more information concerning the results, please contact Membership and Elections Committee Co-Chairs Scott Mason and Giovanni Rosselli.
At-Large (1 open position)
|Andy Moon (winner)||98.6%|
Academic Affairs (3 open positions)
|Whitney Johnson (winner)||30.9%|
|Shahab Tayyab (winner)||19.8%|
|Vicki Cerna-Bell (winner)||17.4%|
Research (1 open position)
|Tina Blakes (winner)||100.0%|
Student Affairs & Enrollment Services (2 open positions)
|Gillian Bautista (winner)||84.0%|
Write-in candidate: Marti Trummer‐Cabrera (winner)
|Other Write-in candidates||12.0%|
University Advancement (1 open position)
|Shatera Anderson (winner)||100.0%|
There were no open positions in the following Divisions for the 2021 Staff Council Elections: Administration & Finance; Office of the President; and University Marketing & Communications.
View the Voters' Guide for information on candidates by division.
In order to vote during elections, voters:
- Must be benefits-eligible (50% FTE or greater) staff members.
- Must know their CougarNet account username and password.
- May cast their vote for no more than the number of open positions available for their division and for one At-Large candidate.
- May write-in one candidate for their division (if it has open positions) and one At-Large candidate.
- May cast their vote from any device with internet access or at any of the additional polling sites.
- May only vote once. The online voting site will reject any voter’s attempt to go through the voting system more than once.
Open Positions by Division
Below is the apportionment by division. At-Large nominations and nominations for divisions currently without open positions are encouraged for filling possible mid-year vacancies. Academic Affairs is inclusive of the College of Medicine.
Division Total for
At-Large 3 1 Academic Affairs 17 3 Administration & Finance 11 0 Office of the President 2 0 Research 1 1 Student Affairs and Enrollment Services 4 2 University Advancement 1 1 University Marketing and Communications 1 0
Staff Council Member Responsibilities
Staff Council members are expected to:
- Attend monthly meetings of the Council on the first Thursday of each month.
- Commit five to seven hours per month to Council business and activities.
- Actively participate on two or more Staff Council committees or subcommittees.
- Disseminate information from Staff Council meetings to the staff within their specific area.
- Interact with staff to ensure that issues, concerns, or ideas are brought forth to the appropriate administrator for action.
- Participate in staff and campus events.
The nominee must be a benefits-eligible (50% FTE or greater) staff member employed at UH for no less than one year (start date of 9/1/2020 or earlier).