What is the UH-STC Pre-pharmacy Cooperative Program?
The University of Houston College of Pharmacy, in cooperation with South Texas College (STC), offers a curriculum leading to the Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.) degree. The purpose of the UH-STC Pre-pharmacy Cooperative Program is to facilitate access to the UH College of Pharmacy by providing opportunities to fulfill prerequisite courses at South Texas College.
Students can be admitted into the UH College of Pharmacy either through the UH-STC Pre-pharmacy Cooperative Program or by application directly to the University of Houston after completion of the Pharm.D. prerequisites. STC faculty members are available to assist students with either application.
What does the UH-STC Pre-pharmacy Cooperative Program offers students?
- Mentoring and personal assistance to prepare for UHCOP while completing the Pharm.D. prerequsites
- Career counseling
- Mentoring and networking with local alumni
- Annual meetings with UHCOP to enhance student preparation for UHCOP
- Admission to UHCOP if all program requirements are met
- Meetings with UHCOP Admissions staff each semester to enhance student preparation for UHCOP
- Personal visits to UHCOP once a semester during the academic year
- Shadow current Pharm.D. students at UHCOP during the academic year
How does a student become part of the UH-STC Pre-pharmacy Cooperative Program?
- Admission to South Texas College as an incoming freshman.
- Completion of a minimum of 12 and no more than 30 semester hours at South Texas College, including one math and one science course during the fall semester. A 3.2 grade point average overall and 3.2 grade point average in math/science courses is recommended. Preference will be given to those achieving higher scores. Grades from all courses completed before final selection meeting will be considered.
- Non-academic, personal factors such as motivation, maturity, integrity, interpersonal communication, service to others and a demonstrated commitment to study pharmacy.
- A composite SAT or ACT score not less than the mean for the state of Texas, with no section score on either the SAT or ACT below the mean attained in the state, unless other evidence of academic achievement exists.
- Apply to the UH-STC Pre-pharmacy Co-op program by February 3 of the freshman year.
- Interview with UHCOP upon invitation.
What are the steps a student must take to apply for admission to the program?
- Submit the completed UH-STC Pre-Pharmacy Cooperative Program Application to the following address no later than February 3, 2020:
Dr. Enriqueta Cortez
South Texas College
3201 W. Pecan
McAllen, TX 78501
- Submit official final transcripts from all colleges and universities that the student has attended.
- Submit an official final high school transcript.
- Provide three letters of reference from three of the following sources: a high school teacher/counselor, a college professor/advisor, a pharmacist, or a personal reference.
- Submission of a personal statement, 1-2 pages in length, typed, double-spaced, on why you chose pharmacy as a career and what distinguishes you from other students.
What is required of a student who is accepted to the UH-STC Pharmacy Cooperative Program?
- Sign a contract with UHCOP which specifies the requirements of the program.
- Continue attending South Texas College and work toward an Associate of Science Degree at South Texas College.
- Maintain a minimum cumulative UH prerequisite GPA of 3.2 and UH prerequisite math/science GPA of 3.2. GPA will be reviewed annually at the end of the spring semester. Any grade of a "D" or an "F" will automatically make a student ineligible to continue in this program.
- Continue completing UH prerequisite courses.
- Notify the UHCOP Director of Pharmacy Admissions in writing prior to each registration for the Pharmacy College Admission Test (PCAT).
- Take the Pharmacy College Admission Test (PCAT) no later than November of the year prior to a student's entrance into pharmacy school.
- Score a minimum of 60% on the composite section of the PCAT.
- Meet with the UH-STC Pharmacy Cooperative Faculty Director at South Texas College at least twice per semester during the academic year.
- Make a personal visit to the UHCOP once a semester during the academic year.
- Meet with the UHCOP Director of Pharmacy Admissions at least once per semester during the academic year.
- Shadow a current Pharm.D. student once a semester at the UHCOP during the academic year.
- Provide updated transcripts of all undergraduate courses and grades each semester to the UH College of Pharmacy via a signed release form submitted to the UH-STC Pharmacy Cooperative Faculty Director at South Texas College.
- Remain in good standing at South Texas College. This includes complying with STC's Student Code of Conduct (http://www.southtexascollege.edu/pdf/Student_Code_Of_Conduct.pdf)
What is required for entrance into the Pharm.D. program as a Co-op Student?
- Maintain a full-time Fall and Spring student status (minimum of 12 credit hours) including a minimum of one (1) science course each semester unless the student has completed all of the science courses required of the program. The student may have one semester of less than full time status while completing pre-requisite courses.
- Earn an Associate of Science Degree from South Texas College.
- Attained a minimum score of 60% or greater on the composite section of the PCAT and submit score officially to UHCOP.
- Provide official transcripts of all undergraduate courses and grades.
- Complete an official PharmCAS application and supporting documents to the UH College of Pharmacy prior to posted deadline(s).
- Admission will be looked at on an individual basis, but students must begin UHCOP coursework within 5 years of their initial enrollment at STC.
- Evaluation of additional factors including aptitude, integrity, personal and emotional characteristics that are considered necessary for the student to become an effective pharmacist.
- Summer internship may be required in future years.