October 30, 2020 Message from ISSSO regarding immigration documents and deadlines. - University of Houston
Skip to main content

October 30, 2020 Message from ISSSO regarding immigration documents and deadlines.

Dear Student,

We would like to remind you of the reporting requirements and certain deadlines to assist you with your planning.

Change of Contact Information
Please update the UH system through myUH if you have made any changes to your U.S. home address(SEVIS Address), phone number and email address. According the DHS regulations, you must report within 10 days of the changes.

Planning Travel
Although we have not received a new guidance from SEVP regarding institutional operations for spring 2021, we recommend that you plan to return or remain in the U.S. to take the face-to-face classes if you are planning to maintain the F-1 visa status. Also, please check the website of the U.S. Department of State and the country you are going to see if there are any restrictions for you to enter or re-enter. Here is a link of resources from NAFSA: https://www.nafsa.org/regulatory-information/covid-19-restrictions-us-visas-and-entry

To obtain an I-20/DS-2019 travel endorsement, please mail your I-20/DS-2019 to the ISSSO office, including a pre-stamped and pre-addressed envelope for our office to return the document to you, after signing the travel endorsement. Please include a note with your UH ID number. Our office mailing address is: ISSSO, Student Center North, Room 203, 4465 University Dr., Houston, TX 77204-3024. We thank you for giving us as much advanced notice as possible since we are experiencing a high volume of requests for documents.

Students returning from international travel are required to self-quarantine for 14 days upon return to the United States. See Completion of Self-Quarantine/Isolation for when the self-quarantine/isolation will end and what is required before the UH community member is allowed to return to work/class/activities on campus.

Optional Practical Training (OPT) Reminder
For F-1 students who are going to graduate this fall semester and plan to participate in Post-Completion OPT, you need to visit our website to schedule and join an OPT workshop to receive assistance for your OPT application if you have not done so. We offer these workshops virtually and the counselor will provide you the link to register as the time for your session approaches.

Academic Training for J-1 Visa Holder
If you are going to graduate this fall semester and plan to participate in Academic Training , you must complete the application and receive the authorization from ISSSO prior to the completion of your degree. Please visit the ISSSO website for the application form and procedure: https://uh.edu/oisss/resources/forms/academic-training-recommendation-application-for-j-1-students.pdf

I-20 or DS-2019 Program Extension
Please check your I-20 (F-1 visa holder) or DS-2019 (J-1 visa holder) program ending date. If you need additional time to complete your degree requirements, you must apply and receive the program extension prior to your current I-20/DS-2019 expiration date. Please download and submit the application form to isssohlp@central.uh.edu.

Report any Changes of Major or Program Level (F-1 or J-1 Visa Students)
Please email our office immediately if you are changing your major or level of studies. If you are changing your degree level from a undergraduate program to a graduate program, please contact Graduate School to request a updated I-20 and email a copy of the new I-20 to ISSSO. You must request and receive the new degree level I-20 within the 60-day grace period or prior to start of the next semester, whichever is sooner.

F-1 and J-1 Students Who Are Leaving UH

  • Going Home for Good

If you do not plan to return to UH after this semester, please email ISSSO and let us know. The Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) requires us to report that you are leaving, and to state the reason. An example might be that you are completing your degree, and returning to your home country.

  • Plan to Transfer to Another U.S. School

If you are planning to go to another U.S. school or start a new program at another U.S. school, please email the SEVIS F-1 or J-1 Transfer-Out Form along with the approval of your admission to ISSSO before the official closing date of this semester.

ISSSO Services
To better protect students, faculty and staff from COVID-19, ISSSO staff will continue to work remotely to assist you, by telephone and email during the hours of 8:00 am to 5:00pm, Monday through Friday. We do not accept walk-ins without being pre-arranged. Please email your documents and inquiries to isssohlp@central.uh.edu. Please allow 7-10 business days to process since we are experiencing a heavy volume of inquiries. You may visit our website for detailed information.

International Education Week
We are pleased to announce a number of events that will take place at the University of Houston recognition of International Education Week (IEW) 2020! We look forward to virtually seeing you there!