J-1 Student Employment - University of Houston
Skip to main content

J-1 Student Employment

J-1 students may be employed on the campus of the school in which they are enrolled to a maximum of 20 hours per week with prior written authorization from the Responsible Officer (RO) of their Designated Program.

  1. They may only work off-campus under limited circumstances provided they have obtained prior written authorization from the RO. Employment does not require additional permission from the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) or an EAD.
  2. J-1 students are eligible for 18 months of academic training following completion of their program (36 months for postdoctoral training).


J-1 students in good standing are eligible for on-campus employment authorization, and employment is limited to 20 hours a week except for official school breaks and the student's annual vacation, when it may be full-time. J-1 student status, on-campus employment must be authorized in advance by the J-1 Program Responsible Officer or Alternate Responsible Officer of the program that issued the DS-2019 as discussed in the J-1 visa regulations: 22 CFR 62.23(g)(2)


Employment for J-2 Dependent of J-1 Visa Holder

Eligible to apply to DHS for work authorization. Once the EAD is issued by DHS, the J-2 may work for any employer. The employer must re-verify employment authorization after the expiration date on EAD. Employment to be approved cannot be needed for the financial support of the J-1 visa holder. It must be for purposes unrelated to basic support.

For more information, please click this J-2 Work Authorization and make an appointment to see an International Student Counselor. When making your appointment please identify yourself as a J-2 visa holder.