What is the Virtual Education Support Program (VESP)?
The VESP is an opportunity for University of Houston students to support local families during the time of virtual learning due to COVID-19. UH students will provide one on one or group virtual tutoring or virtual teaching for grade levels K-12. In-person tutoring or support is NOT recommended.
What types of positions are available?
- Virtual Tutors: Virtual Tutors can be any UH major or classification. They provide one on one or group virtual tutoring to grades K-12. (Minimum: $10 per hour)
- Virtual Teaching Assistants: Virtual Teaching Assistants are UH education majors. They provide one on one or group virtual teaching / education to grades K-12. (Minimum: $12 per hour)
How does the program work? (For Families)
- Register as an “Employer” and submit the job posting in Cougar Pathway. The family contact will create an employer account within Cougar Pathway, the University of Houston online job board. Once approved as an “employer”, the contact will create a job posting for either the Virtual Tutor or Virtual Teaching Assistant. Job descriptions are provided to assist with the ease of posting the position.
- Review resumes and interview students. After the position is approved and posted in Cougar Pathway, the family contact will start to get emails with student resumes. The contact will review the resumes and interview students accordingly. Interview questions can be provided to assist.
- Choose final candidate and complete Virtual Agreement Form. Once the final candidate has been chosen, the family contact will complete the Virtual Agreement Form with the student and return via email to University Career Services (This is expected to be completed before the student begins working)
I’m interested, how do I get started?
Complete our interest form and someone from our team will reach out to schedule a brief phone call with you
How does the program work? (For Students)
- Review Virtual Tutor or Virtual Teaching Assistants positions within Cougar Pathway.
- Apply for position(s) but submitting your approved resume. (Don’t have an approved resume? Schedule an appointment with your career counselor or attend a resume workshop)
- Your resume will be reviewed and if interested, the family contact will reach out to you for an interview.
- You may be asked to conduct an interview with the family contact. (Reach out to your career counselor to conduct a mock interview!)
- If chosen for the positions, the family contact will complete the Virtual Agreement Form with you and return via email to University Career Services (This is expected to be completed before the student begins working)
- *Make sure you feel comfortable with the family and understand their expectations.
- The University of Houston does not guarantee and is not responsible for the tutoring services performed by the UH students.
- UH does not preform background checks on families or UH students for this program.
- The University of Houston is not responsible for payment to the student; this must be coordinated directly between the family contact and student.
- If at any point either the family contact or the student becomes uncomfortable with the arrangement, they can terminate the Virtual Agreement Form without penalty.