Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions - M.Ed. in Special Populations

Admissions Related

When is the deadline for submission of application materials?

  • We admit new cohorts of students bi-annually for the fall and spring semester to the UH Main Campus. Please visit the ELPS Admissions page to apply to the program.

What materials do I need to submit for admission consideration?

  • Please visit the ELPS Admissions page. Additional information such as GRE, GPA, and other requirements are available through the UH College of Education Office of Graduate Admissions.

Can I keep my full-time job and pursue this degree?

  • Many of our students are also full-time professionals. The program is designed for working professionals.

Can I apply if I’m not currently a teacher?

  • Three of our tracks do not require you to be a teacher: Special Education, Special Education Certification, and Gifted and Talented.
  • Educational Diagnostician Certification and Special Education Leadership require current teacher certification.

My undergraduate degree is not in education, can I still apply?

  • Yes! Many of our students are changing careers, want to stay in non-education related fields but gain the knowledge and training our programs can offer, or have degrees in a different but related field.

Course Related 

What is the format of classes?

  • The Special Education and Gifted & Talented tracks are 100% online, while the Educational Diagnostician Certification and Special Education Certification tracks have about 80% of their courses online and 20% are face to face.  The Special Education Leadership track meets 70% online; the remaining 30% are provided by the K-12 Leadership program and format varies. All courses vary by semester and instructor.

Where can I find financial aid and tuition and fees information?

How long does the program take?

  • Most students complete the program in 4-5 semesters (including the summer term). Students also seeking certification take 6 semesters.

What additional components are necessary for certification?

  • Students in the Special Education Certification and Educational Diagnostician programs will need to complete additional requirements. Detailed information can be found in the M.Ed. Student Handbook and/or the Educational Diagnostician Certification Program & Internship Student Handbook, which can be found on the main program pages:

Contact Information

Who can I contact for additional information about courses, program benchmarks, and career opportunities with this degree?

  • Please email to discuss the courses, program benchmarks, internship, and career opportunities with this degree.

Department Information

How can I learn more about ELPS degree programs, faculty and staff, news updates, and student testimonials?