The Special Populations Program provides coursework to prepare students for certification as an Educational Diagnostician. A minimum of five courses are required*:
- SPEC 7340 Assessment of Academic Achievement
- SPEC 7341 Assessment of Learning Difficulties
- SPEC 7392 Assessment of Intellectual Abilities
- SPEC 7394 Educational Diagnostician Internship I
- SPEC 7395 Educational Diagnostician Internship II
*Additional courses may be required. Transcripts will be evaluated and needed courses will be noted on the Educational Diagnostician Certification Plan.
What is an Educational Diagnostician?
Educational Diagnostician is a state-approved Student Services certification intended prepare highest caliber professionals that possess the knowledge and skills necessary to improve the performance of the diverse student population in Texas. The holder of the Educational Diagnostician Certificate may serve as an educational diagnostician, including providing educational assessment and evaluation, as required by the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) or other applicable law, for students from Early Childhood-Grade 12 (see TAC §239.80).
The University of Houston Special Populations program will open this certification program to all teachers who meet the criteria for admission to UH, as well as SBEC criteria for Educational Diagnostician certification:
- Hold, at a minimum, a master's degree from an accredited institution of higher education that at the time was accredited or otherwise approved by an accrediting organization recognized by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board
- Hold a valid classroom teaching certificate
- Successfully complete the examination based on the standards identified in TAC §239.83 (TExES 253)
To be eligible to receive the standard Educational Diagnostician Certificate, a candidate must also:
- Successfully complete an educational diagnostician preparation program that meets the requirements of TAC §239.82 (complete all requirements on the UH certification plan)
- Successfully complete the examination based on the standards identified in TAC §239.83 (TExES 153)
What will I learn?
Students who complete the Educational Diagnostician certificate program:
- Understand federal and state disability criteria and identification procedures for determining the presence of an educational need.
- Recognize the significance of diversity for evaluation, planning, and instruction.
- Select, administer and interpret appropriate assessments and evaluations.
- Understand appropriate curricula and instructional strategies for developing the academic, behavioral and social skills of students with disabilities.
- Engage the roles and responsibilities of the diagnostician profession.
Courses & Descriptions
Assessment of Academic Achievement
Prerequisite: Approved course in measurement and SPEC 7341 (may be concurrent). Standardized, norm-referenced assessment of academic achievement, including test administration, scoring, interpretation, report writing, and linking results to interventions.
Offered face-to-face every fall semester
Assessment of Learning Difficulties
Prerequisite: Approved course in measurement.
Characteristics of learning difficulties; assessment and linking assessment to intervention. A study of legal issues related to assessment and eligibility.
Offered online every fall and summer semester
Assessment of Intellectual abilities
Prerequisite: SPEC 7340 and SPEC 7341.
Standardized, norm-referenced assessment of intellectual/cognitive abilities, including test administration, scoring, interpretation, report writing, and linking results to interventions. This course also reviews determination of learning disabilities.
Offered face-to-face every spring semester
SPEC 7394/SPEC 7395
Educational Diagnostician Internship
The internship is the final, "capstone" field experience that builds on and integrates prior experiences and coursework, allowing increasing autonomy in providing comprehensive diagnostic services under supervision. The primary focus and purpose is assuring breadth and quality of training designed to help the intern develop those competencies necessary for professional functioning in the schools. Students in the Educational Diagnostician sequence must enroll in two consecutive semesters of internship and successfully complete 160 hours of supervised internship experience in a public school to complete program requirements and to partially meet state requirements for certification as an Educational Diagnostician. Please see the Internship Handbook for more information.
Arrange with Program Director and school district
Applying for a Certification Plan
The certification plan details the coursework and requirements you'll need in order to be eligible to be recommend for a Texas Educator Certificate through the State Board for Educator Certification (SBEC).
The faculty advisor will work with the certification office to complete your certification plan. All courses will be evaluated to determine which courses are needed. Some courses may be waived for those with EC-12 Special Education certification. Please contact Kristen Hassett for more information.
Prior to applying to take the TExES Educational Diagnostician (253), students are expected to complete all pre-requisite courses and benchmark requirements for the certification. Students should consult with Kristen Hassett for details about obtaining certification. Information is available at on our Certification webpage.
Credit toward an M.Ed.
Prospective students will be encouraged to adhere to the admission criteria for UH College of Education graduate programs so that they may apply the courses in this certificate program toward a Master's degree in Special Populations, if they choose, at the end of their certificate program. However, completion of the Educational Diagnostician certification program does not guarantee acceptance to a M.Ed. Program.
For more information about this program, please contact Dr. Kristen Hassett.
To apply for this program, please visit Professional Certificates. Certification is not eligible for financial aid.