This scholarship was inspired by B. Renae Milton, a UH alumna, long-term staff member, and former Staff Council Program Manager, who supported family-friendly policies and put three sons through college.
The Staff Council B. Renae Milton Students of Staff Scholarship provides scholarship assistance to University of Houston students who are dependents of a UH staff member.
Staff Council awards one $500 scholarship to a student who attends UH.
2021-2022 APPLICATION DEADLINE: APRIL 16, 2021, at 5 PM
To be considered for the Staff Council B. Renae Milton Students of Staff Scholarship:
The Staff member:
- Must be employed in a full-time, benefits-eligible position at the UH for at least one year as of March 1, 2021.
- Must demonstrate a strong commitment to staff excellence and service to the University.
The Student candidate:
- Must be a dependent of a UH staff member.
- Must be a full-time, degree-seeking student in good academic standing at the UH.
- Must demonstrate a strong commitment to academic excellence, their potential to succeed, and contributions to the university and/or surrounding community.
How to Apply
Each applicant shall submit an application packet containing the following information by Friday, April 16, 2021, 5:00 PM. (Incomplete packets will not be reviewed).
- Complete and submit the scholarship application form and upload all other supporting documents listed below in PDF format. Log into MS Forms using your Cougarnet credentials.
- Application cover sheet (Signed by the student and UH staff member).
- Typed essay from the student (maximum one page, double-spaced, 12 point font) explaining academic goals and a personal statement regarding why you believe you should receive this scholarship. The essay should include information about the staff member’s contribution to the university and the applicant’s contribution to the university and/or surrounding community.
- Two letters of recommendation (from a teacher, manager, community leader, etc.). Letters should be as specific as possible.
- All college transcripts of the student (with the most recent transcript at the top). The transcripts need not be official copies, but they must be legible. Newly accepted students should include their High School transcript.
- Newly accepted students must include their letter of acceptance to the University of Houston if they have not been assigned a UH PeopleSoft ID.
If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Selection and Distribution Process
- The scholarship is credited to the recipient’s UH academic account when proof of registration is received.
- The scholarship is credited to an academic course for UH credit during FY21 (Fall 2021, Spring 2022, or Summer 2022).
- The scholarship can only be applied during the academic year for which it is awarded.
- Any recipient who cannot utilize the scholarship should notify Staff Council Scholarship Committee. The staff member must still be employed by the University on the first day of class in the semester in which the scholarship is to be awarded.
2020 - 2021 B. Renae Milton Students of Staff Scholarships Recipients
2019 - 2020 B. Renae Milton Students of Staff Scholarships Recipients
2018 - 2019 B. Renae Milton Students of Staff Scholarships Recipient
2017 - 2018 B. Renae Milton Students of Staff Scholarships Recipient
2016 - 2017 B. Renae Milton Students of Staff Scholarships Recipient
Honoring B. Renae Milton
Support Staff Council Scholarships