This scholarship was inspired by B. Renae Milton, a UH alumna, long-term staff member, and former Staff Council Program Manager, who supported family-friendly policies and put three sons through college.
The Staff Council B. Renae Milton Students of Staff Scholarship provides scholarship assistance to University of Houston students who are dependents of a UH staff member.
Staff Council awards two $500 scholarship to students who attend UH.
Applications for the 2024-2025 Academic Year are accepted from 02/01/2024 to 03/15/2024, at 5:00pm.
2024-2025 Application Deadline: March 15th at 5 p.m.
To be considered for the Staff Council B. Renae Milton Students of Staff Scholarship:
The Staff member:
- Must be employed in a full-time, benefits-eligible position at the UH for at least one year as of February 1st of this year.
- Must demonstrate a strong commitment to staff excellence and service to the University.
The Student candidate:
- Must be a dependent of a UH staff member.
- Must be a full-time, degree-seeking student in good academic standing at the UH.
- Must demonstrate a strong commitment to academic excellence, their potential to succeed, and contributions to the university and/or surrounding community.
How to Apply
Each applicant shall submit an application packet containing the following information by March 15th, 5:00 p.m. (Incomplete packets will not be reviewed).
- Complete and submit the scholarship application form and upload all other supporting documents listed below in PDF format. Log into MS Forms using your Cougarnet credentials. The online applications period is from February 1st to March 15th, 5:00 p.m.
- Application cover sheet (Signed by the student and UH staff member).
- Typed essay from the student (maximum one page, double-spaced, 12 point font) explaining academic goals and a personal statement regarding why you believe you should receive this scholarship. The essay should include information about the staff member’s contribution to the university and the applicant’s contribution to the university and/or surrounding community.
- One letter of recommendation (from a teacher, manager, community leader, etc.). The letter should be as specific as possible.
- Most recent transcripts of the student. The transcript does not need to be an official copy, but it must be legible. Newly accepted students should include their High School transcript.
- FERPA release form to confirm GPA and enrollment eligibility. FERPA Form (pre-filled for Staff Council Scholarships)
If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Selection and Distribution Process
- The scholarship is credited to the recipient’s UH academic account when proof of registration is received.
- The scholarship is credited to an academic course for UH credit during the 2024-2025 fiscal year (Fall 2024, Spring 2025, or Summer 2025).
- The scholarship can only be applied during the academic year for which it is awarded.
- Any recipient who cannot utilize the scholarship should notify Staff Council Scholarship Committee. The staff member must still be employed by the University on the first day of class in the semester in which the scholarship is to be awarded.
B. Renae Milton Students of Staff Scholarships Recipients
Parent (Staff) Hope Pacheco, Asst. Dean of Students
Computer Information Systems, NSM
Parent (Staff) Tuyet Nguyen, Accountant II, General Accounting
Prior Year Recipients
2022 - 2023 B. Renae Milton Students of Staff Scholarships Recipient
2021 - 2022 B. Renae Milton Students of Staff Scholarships Recipient
2020 - 2021 B. Renae Milton Students of Staff Scholarships Recipient
2019 - 2020 B. Renae Milton Students of Staff Scholarships Recipients
2018 - 2019 B. Renae Milton Students of Staff Scholarships Recipient
2017 - 2018 B. Renae Milton Students of Staff Scholarships Recipient
2016 - 2017 B. Renae Milton Students of Staff Scholarships Recipient
Honoring B. Renae Milton
Support Staff Council Scholarships