Skip to main content


University Owned Vehicles

Liability Insurance

The University carries automobile insurance to cover University owned or leased vehicles, including scheduled golf carts, while being operated by approved drivers on University business.  There is also some coverage for claims that fall outside the tort claims act.

Physical Damage Insurance

The University carries collision/comprehensive insurance, but only for vehicles which are scheduled for this coverage.

Personal Injury Protection and Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Insurance

Personal Injury Protection and Uninsured /Underinsured Motorist coverage are not purchased by the University.

NOTE: There is no bodily injury coverage under the auto policy for bodily injury to a driver in an at fault accident. Contact Risk Management with any questions. . 

Rental Vehicles

Contracted Vendors

The State of Texas Comptroller’s Office has contracted with some rental car vendors to provide negotiated rates for employees while driving rental vehicles on business, which include:

  • Liability: Covers persons and property outside the rental vehicle. The amount of this extended liability insurance is $250,000 bodily injury per person, $500,000 bodily injury per occurrence; and $100,000 property damage per occurrence. 
  • LDW (Loss/Damage Waiver): Covers damage to the rental vehicle if it was rented under the state contract.

Please note: When making a reservation, the vehicle must be rented under the State of Texas contract for the insurance above to apply. If the vehicle is not booked on the state contract rate, the insurance provisions will not be included. The rental agency must be advised that you are with the University of Houston, as well as given the contract rate identifier number. For any questions, contact your travel coordinator. 

*The State of Texas negotiated rates and insurance coverage are strictly for employees only. Any non-employee who may be driving for University business cannot utilize the state negotiated rate or insurance. They must procure insurance for rental vehicles themselves.

Non-Contract Rental Car Vendors

If a vehicle is rented from a non-contract rental car vendor by an employee for University business purposes, insurance may or may not be included in the base rental rate. Inquire at the time of rental if the contract insurance coverage is included. If it is not, you must purchase the LWD and Liability insurance.