Risk Management has several policies to which the Unviersity community should be aware of. Please contact Risk Management with any questions.
Personal Autos used on University Business
Employees are encouraged to use vehicles that are owned, leased, or rented by the University rather than personal vehicles for University business.
- In the event of an accident, the driver's personal auto liability policy will always be primary, and any accident must be reported to the personal auto insurance company of that vehicle as well as Risk Management.
- The University is not responsible for any physical damage to an employee or student's vehicle, nor the contents of the vehicle.
- University employees and students must have liability and physical damage insurance coverage on their personal vehicle.
- Refer to the SAM 01.C.13 which covers the provisions for use of personal vehicles.
Below are limitations on the use of personal vehicles consistent with the University’s objectives.
- A personal vehicle may only be used for business purposes with permission and knowledge of the University
- At all times when on University business, personal automobile liability insurance must be carried by the owner of the vehicle
- Risk Management must be advised of any accident occurring while on University business
- Financial loss for damage to or theft of the vehicle or its contents shall not be reimbursed by the University in the event of an incident while on University business
Premium Allocations for Departments
Risk Management allocates insurance expenses to the appropriate campuses and departments for several of the insurance policies. More information is available from the University of Houston System’s Administrative Memorandum Risk Management Policy.