Skip to main content

Workers' Compensation

A University of Houston employee who sustains an injury or occupational disease in the course and scope of employment may be entitled to receive compensation under the State Workers’ Compensation System. The following people are not considered employees for the purposes of workers’ compensation:

  • Independent contractors
  • Volunteers, except during a Governor-declared State of Emergency
  • Members of the state military forces, except while on active duty
  • Persons covered by federal workers’ compensation
  • Offenders
  • Consumers or patients of a state institution or agency
  • Non-employed students receiving a scholarship stipend

In most cases it is easy to determine if an on-the-job injury has occurred. Some cases, however, may require further investigation. It is not the Workers' Compensation Specialist or the Supervisor’s responsibility to make this determination. If the injured employee feels that the injury or illness is work-related, then it should be reported. The determination of compensability is made by the State Office of Risk Management, who administers the university’s workers’ compensation program. Please review the Workers' Compensation Manual for detailed information. Additional references may found in the University of Houston's Manual of Administrative Policies and Procedures for Workers' Compensation and Return to Work.