The School of Theatre & Dance is now proudly part of the newly formed Kathrine G. McGovern College of the Arts at the University of Houston!
The School of Theatre & Dance (SoTD) develops arts professionals grounded in creativity, craft, critical thinking and collaboration.
Theatre at the University of Houston emphasizes:
- Study — Understanding the foundations of theatre practice, theory and technique
- Application — Challenging students to explore, problem solve and creatively express themselves through productions
- Mentorship — Connecting with working professionals for career guidance and support
We have the largest theatre department in the city of Houston, with 250 full-time undergraduates and graduates. Students have access to high-profile faculty and guest artists, costume and scenic workshops, professional-grade design studios and three on-campus performance facilities, including the Lyndall Finley Wortham Theatre, black box Jose Quintero Theatre and Studio 208. Each season, students develop their skills onstage and behind the scenes in eight fully staged productions, supported by a faculty of leading artists and scholars.
Theatre offers B.F.A. degrees in Acting, Production, Stage Management, Playwriting/Dramaturgy and Theatre Education, as well as M.F.A. degrees in Acting and Design/Technology, and M.A. degrees in Theatre and Theatre Studies.
Dance at the University of Houston emphasizes:
- Athleticism — Developing disciplined bodies and minds with dynamic qualities to shape the dancer
- Intellect — Encouraging creative, thoughtful and innovative individuals with the ability to clearly articulate ideas
- Interaction — Balancing individual thinking with artistic collaboration to realize potential
We provide the only degree program for dance in the greater Houston area. We instill confidence in our students through disciplined practice and creative discovery. In addition to studio classes, students explore their passion for dance with the pre-professional UH Dance Ensemble, the University Dance Theatre student organization and in-house Center for Choreography. Our award-winning faculty and guest artists provide a close-knit, nurturing environment where students gain practical life skills, develop curious minds and define their individuality through the art of dance.
Dance offers a B.F.A. degree, B.A. degree, Dance minor and approved curriculum for Teaching Certification in Secondary Education in Dance.
Admission into all SoTD programs is by audition only. On-campus auditions are held for both theatre and dance programs during the school year prior to enrollment.