The School of Theatre & Dance is now proudly part of the newly formed Kathrine G. McGovern College of the Arts at the University of Houston!
The School of Theatre & Dance (SoTD) develops arts professionals grounded in creativity, craft, critical thinking and collaboration.
Theatre at the University of Houston emphasizes:
- Study — Understanding the foundations of theatre practice, theory and technique
- Application — Challenging students to explore, problem solve and creatively express themselves through productions
- Mentorship — Connecting with working professionals for career guidance and support
We have the largest theatre department in the city of Houston, with 250 full-time undergraduates and graduates. Students have access to high-profile faculty and guest artists, costume and scenic workshops, professional-grade design studios and three on-campus performance facilities, including the Lyndall Finley Wortham Theatre, black box Jose Quintero Theatre and Studio 208. Each season, students develop their skills onstage and behind the scenes in eight fully staged productions, supported by a faculty of leading artists and scholars.
Theatre offers B.F.A. degrees in Acting, Production, Stage Management, Playwriting/Dramaturgy and Theatre Education, as well as M.F.A. degrees in Acting and Design/Technology, and M.A. degrees in Theatre and Theatre Studies.
Dance at the University of Houston emphasizes:
• Athleticism — Developing disciplined minds & bodies with dynamic performance artistry
• Intellect — Encouraging creativity, curiosity, and innovation with critical analysis and articulate communication skills.
• Interaction — Balancing individuality with leadership and collaboration skills The Dance Program at the University of Houston emphasizes dance artistry in direct partnership with both practical and innovative applications for the 21st Century.
Creative processes in choreography and dance performance are enhanced with training in leadership, arts business, technology, production, teaching artist skills, and community building. We prepare students through a disciplined practice of dance, while guiding them to be critical thinkers and problem solvers in a diverse society. Our award-winning faculty and guest artists provide direct connections to the professional community in Houston and beyond. We provide a nurturing environment where students develop sustainable work force skills and curious minds, while defining their individuality through the art of dance. The Dance Program offers a B.F.A. degree, B.A. degree, Dance minor and approved curriculum for Teaching Certification in Secondary Education in Dance.
Admission into all SoTD programs is by audition only. On-campus auditions are held for both theatre and dance programs during the school year prior to enrollment.