Degrees & Certifications - University of Houston
Skip to main content

Degrees & Certifications

Bachelor of Music - Teacher Certification

BW conducting

The undergraduate programs in Music Education are designed to provide the skills and resources necessary to become a successful music teacher. The degree is completed with either an Instrumental or Choral emphasis. Teacher certification is earned alongside the Bachelor of Music degree in conjunction with the College of Education's Teacher Education Program.

Master of Music - Music Education

student presentation

The graduate program in music education is designed to advance the knowledge and skills of practicing music teachers with a focus on leadership training. The Master of Music degree in Music Education is best suited for practicing public school teachers with at least 3 years of K-12 teaching experience. Classes are scheduled with the busy school teacher in mind; with classes meeting evenings and during summer break. Most students complete the degree as a part-time student, but full-time students may apply for a Teaching Assistantship.

The Master of Music in Music Education degree is unique in how it allows students to customize their learning. Students take courses in a chosen minor area of study, such as conducting, elementary methods, music history, or music theory. Additionally, in many courses, students complete projects and assignments related to their specific teaching contexts and interests. Some scholarships are available for eligible students. 

Doctor of Musical Arts - Music Education


The DMA program in music education is designed to educate music teachers who wish to teach at the collegiate level or to qualify for an administrative position in public education. Candidates should possess a teaching certificate and at least 3 years of K-12 teaching experience. Most classes may be completed as a part-time student, but one year of residency is required. Full-time students may apply for a Teaching Assistantship or a Graduate Tuition Fellowship. 

Teaching Certification


Students already possessing an undergraduate degree in music may pursue teaching certification through a Post-Baccalaureate Certification. This program results in an EC-12 Music certification for the state of Texas. An individualized Certification Plan is developed for each student which credits courses already taken towards certification requirements. 

Post-baccalaureate applicants for teacher certification in music must first apply to the Moores School of Music through Decision Desk and provide the following materials: a) unofficial transcripts, b) statement of intent, c) two references, and d) a 15-minute video of a solo performance on a primary instrument or of classroom music teaching. Applicants must also complete an interview with a music education faculty member. 

back to top