APPLY AND AUDITION FOR THE MOORES SCHOOL OF MUSIC
In addition to meeting all requirements for admission to the University of Houston, all students seeking acceptance as music majors must apply separately to the Moores School and must pass an audition on their principal instrument or voice.
Current UH Students
Dates & Deadlines
You must upload all required supplemental materials by the deadline listed for the audition date you are requesting (generally four weeks before the audition date).
Voice applicants must include a vocal recording in their application to evaluate whether a student will be invited to attend a live audition. Recordings for voice students are subject to earlier application deadlines. Composition applicants must submit a composition portfolio, if available, as an upload into the online application. In the event that a portfolio is too large to upload, submission by mail is acceptable.
Fall 2020 Semester
Spring 2020 Semester
How to Apply
- Apply for admission to the University by completing the University of Houston application. Current UH students trying change majors do not need to reapply for admission to the University.
- Apply for admission to the Moores School of Music by completing the Moores School of Music Application. The admissions coordinator will send you a confirmation when she receives your application. You will automatically be considered for Moores School Scholarships as part of your application. The application will require you to upload the following required supplemental materials:
- 250-word statement of purpose (including educational and career goals)
- Music résumé (all experience in music: years of private instruction, ensemble experience, solo performances, awards, etc.)
- At least one letter of recommendation from a music professional. During the online application, applicants are asked for the name & email address of their recommending person(s).
- Voice students must submit a pre-screening video recording as an upload into the online application.
- Composition students must submit a composition portfolio (if available) as an upload into the online application. In the event that a portfolio is too large to upload, submission by mail is acceptable.
- Audition on your principal instrument or voice. Your assigned audition date, time and information about the other required activities will be sent to the email address specified on the music application 1-3 weeks before the audition date. On your audition day, you will also attend a mandatory information session and take a theory and aural skills diagnostic exam. You may also have an exit interview and may take an optional building tour. You should expect to spend most of the audition day at the Moores School of Music. Read about the undergraduate audition requirements to find information specific to your chosen instrument.