Skip to main content


What is recyclable on campus?

UH offers single-stream recycling throughout the entire campus. Any recycling bin on campus accepts the following items:

  • Plastics #1-5 and 7 (Styrofoam and other #6 plastics are not accepted)
  • Metals: aluminum, steel and tin (cans, bottles, foil, paperclips, small metal pieces)
  • Tetrapaks: milk cartons, soup containers
  • Paper: white or colored paper, magazines, newspaper, paper board, construction paper, card stock
  • Corrugated cardboard: This is the only item the University recycles separately. If the cardboard doesn’t fit in a recycle bin, leave it next to or behind a bin for pick up.
  • Print out the below graphic as a handy guide! You can tack it up over your recycling bin, or keep a copy of the image on your phone.

All recyclables should be free from food and other contaminants. Containers should be emptied, rinsed and dried when possible.


Need to request recycling bins for your office or department? If you have no blue bins in your building, you can request them using "Fix It" through accessUH. Click here for a handy guide to help you through the process.

Used ink and toner cartridges: Students may recycle used ink and toner cartridges at Office Depot or at a local Recycling Center in Houston.

Office administrators may go through Tejas Office Products. When placing a supply order with Tejas, make a note under 'Special Instructions' that says "Pick up empty toner cartridges to be recycled" and their delivery driver will pick them up.

Plastic Film: Plastic films like grocery bags, ziplock bags, and shrink wrap cannot be recycled with other items. Most all grocery stores will have a plastic bag receptacle. Save up your plastic film in its own container and then take that to the nearest grocery store.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Email with your recycling questions.


What about OFF campus?

The best resource for City of Houston resident recycling info is this handy Recycling page.

If you live in Unincorporated Harris County, or a surrounding town (Pearland, Sugar Land, The Woodlands, etc) please check with your local recycling authorities for best practices.