We are not currently accepting applications for our Green Office certification.
Stay tuned for updated programs coming in 2023!
Student Center - GOLD
University Career Services - SILVER
Campus Recreation (multiple Offices) - BRONZE
Cullen Performance Hall - BRONZE
General Info for "Going Green"
If your office or department is not ready for a full audit for certification but want to take first steps towards sustainability, below are some helpful catagorized steps to start the process.
Paper & Office Supply Waste
- Set double-sided printing as a default on our office computers, and we placed a visual prompt on our copy machine to remind members of our office to double-side copy.
- Use an electronic timesheet/scheduling system.
- Have a designated area in our supply closet, or elsewhere in our office, for sharing office supplies that can be re-used (file folders, binders, pens, paper clips, etc).
- Recycling bins should be placed next to waste bins where applicable and clearly labeled.
- Review proper recycling practices at a staff meeting or through an office email to ensure that all members of office are aware of the procedures and have had their questions answered.
- Eliminate desk-side trash containers and switch to desk-side recycling, with central trash locations.
- Place trash and recycling bins (where appropriate) in meeting rooms, conference rooms and classrooms, and ensure these bins are clearly labeled with the correct signage.
- Participate the annual UH E-waste Drive.
Purchasing - Paper and Electronics
- Recommended minimum 30% post consumer OR preferred 100% post consumer waste content.
- Chlorine free paper.
- Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certified.
- Any new equipment purchased is ENERGY STAR rated silver or above, if applicable. If ENERGY STAR is not available, work with vendors to purchase the most efficient option.
- Leave clear space around of vents for better circulation.
- Enable sleep mode and auto-off settings on copiers and printers.
- Enable the recommended power management settings on computers.
- Shut off monitors and/or manually send computers into energy saving modes (standby or hibernate) when not in use.
- Manually turn off lights when not in use
- Students, faculty, and staff are encourage to bring reusable water bottles and take advantage of the many water bottle filling stations on campus.
- Any person can report sink leaks (kitchen, bathroom or lab) to FIXIT and inform their Building Coordinator.
Tejas or Brawner Paper Co.