NSM offers a wide range of research opportunities for undergraduates at all levels. NSM students conduct research all over campus, as well as at the Texas Medical Center, the UH Coastal Center, and in industry labs. From programming computers, to pure and applied mathematics, to extended field work, wet lab experiments, and even marine research in the Galápagos Islands, NSM students gain valuable experiences that prepare them for medical school, graduate school, and their careers. Many NSM students spend multiple years working with a faculty mentor. NSM and the University offer competitive scholarships to support student researchers.
How Can I Participate?
NSM Research Opportunities
We encourage students to participate in research. Our Research Portal lists current opportunities in NSM laboratories.
- NSM Undergraduate Research Opportunities Portal
- Computer Science Research Experience for Undergraduates
- UH Team: NASA Undergraduate Student Instrument Project
- Learn About Other NSM Opportunities
- Undergraduate Research Virtual Workshops
- Cougar Health Research Academy - May 28 Deadline
- Provost’s Undergraduate Research Scholarship
Open to Jrs and Srs
- Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship
Rising Sophs, Jrs and Srs
- Houston Early Research Experience
Rising Sophs and Jrs
- Senior Honors Thesis
- Research Resources
Outside Research Opportunities
Explore research experiences at other institutions.
- Research Experiences for Undergraduates - Other Universities
- NASA Center Internships
- NASA DEVELOP National Program
- Houston Methodist Summer Undergraduate Research Institute
- Rice - Multi-Scale Biomolecular Networks (BioNetworks) Research Experience
- Rice - BioXFEL Summer Internships (Biology with X-ray Free Electron Lasers)
- Rice - Planetary Habitability Research Experience
- Houston Forensic Science Center Internships
- Summer Undergraduate Research in Genetics and Genomics at Texas A&M
- Texas Sea Grant Community Engaged Internship
- Interdisciplinary Research Experience in Computational Sciences - Louisiana State University
- Conservation Internship for Broadening Access - Smithsonian
- Brookhaven National Laboratory 2022 Winter Mini-Semester
- Post-Baccalaureate Research Education Program - University of Utah
- Organization of Biological Field Stations Opportunities
- Harvard Forest Summer Research Program in Ecology
- Summer Undergraduate Research & Internship Experience in Acoustics
Should I Seek Undergraduate Research Opportunities? Yes!
There are many benefits to participating in research as an undergraduate. Learn More
How Do I Approach Faculty for Opportunities?
Learn how to determine what faculty are working on projects you are interested in and best practices for contacting them. Learn More