NSM offers a wide range of research opportunities for undergraduates at all levels. NSM students conduct research all over campus, as well as at the Texas Medical Center, the UH Coastal Center, and in industry labs. From programming computers, to pure and applied mathematics, to extended field work, wet lab experiments, and even marine research in the Galápagos Islands, NSM students gain valuable experiences that prepare them for medical school, graduate school, and their careers. Many NSM students spend multiple years working with a faculty mentor. NSM and the University offer competitive scholarships to support student researchers.
How Can I Participate?
NSM Research Opportunities
We encourage students to participate in research. Our Research Portal lists current opportunities in NSM laboratories.
- NSM Undergraduate Research Opportunities Portal
- Computer Science Research Experience for Undergraduates
- UH Team: NASA Undergraduate Student Instrument Project
- Learn About Other NSM Opportunities
Outside Research Opportunities
Explore research experiences at other institutions.
- Research Experiences for Undergraduates - Other Universities
- NASA Center Internships
- NASA DEVELOP National Program
- BRAINS (Neurology) Summer Undergraduate Research Program - UT Health McGovern Medical School
- Houston Methodist Summer Undergraduate Research Institute
- Rice - Planetary Habitability Research Experience
- Houston Forensic Science Center Internships
- Farm Intern-Spring ’22: Moonflower Farms (Houston)
- Summer Undergraduate Research in Genetics and Genomics at Texas A&M
- Mickey Leland Environmental Internship Program - TCEQ
- Conservation Internship for Broadening Access - Smithsonian
- Woods Hole Partnership Education Program
- Inclusive NOAA Fisheries Internship Program
- U.S. Fish & Wildlife (Mano Project): Directorate Fellows Program
- Caltech WAVE Fellows Summer Research
- ENDURE (Neuroscience) Summer Research - Washington U in St Louis
- Department of Defense SMART Program
- Post-Baccalaureate Research Education Program - University of Utah
- Organization of Biological Field Stations Opportunities
- Harvard Forest Summer Research Program in Ecology
- Summer Undergraduate Research & Internship Experience in Acoustics
Should I Seek Undergraduate Research Opportunities? Yes!
There are many benefits to participating in research as an undergraduate. Learn More
How Do I Approach Faculty for Opportunities?
Learn how to determine what faculty are working on projects you are interested in and best practices for contacting them. Learn More