NSM offers a wide range of research opportunities for undergraduates at all levels. NSM students conduct research all over campus, as well as at the Texas Medical Center, the UH Coastal Center, and in industry labs. From programming computers, to pure and applied mathematics, to extended field work, wet lab experiments, and even marine research in the Galápagos Islands, NSM students gain valuable experiences that prepare them for medical school, graduate school, and their careers. Many NSM students spend multiple years working with a faculty mentor. NSM and the University offer competitive scholarships to support student researchers.
How Can I Participate?
NSM Research Opportunities
We encourage our students to participate in research. Check the Research Portal for current opportunities in NSM laboratories.
- NSM Undergraduate Research Opportunities Portal
- Computer Science Research Experience for Undergraduates
- Learn About Other NSM Opportunities
- Undergraduate Research Virtual Workshops
- College of Medicine Summer Shadowing Program – Feb 5 Deadline
- Provost’s Undergraduate Research Scholarship Open to Jrs and Srs
- Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship Rising Sophs, Jrs and Srs
- Houston Early Research Experience Rising Sophs and Jrs
- Senior Honors Thesis
- Research Resources
Outside Research Opportunities
Many opportunities exist for NSM students to participate in research programs at other universities and through national organizations. The list below contains links for several off-campus research programs.
Should I Seek Undergraduate Research Opportunities? Yes!
There are many benefits to participating in research as an undergraduate. Learn More
How Do I Approach Faculty for Opportunities?
Learn how to determine what faculty are working on projects you are interested in and best practices for contacting them. Learn More