Institutes & Centers
Interdisciplinary research is strong at the University of Houston. The UH faculty has established many institutes and centers that focus faculty and student interest in topics that draw upon multiple areas of expertise.
Many institutes and centers support undergraduate and graduate students as research assistants, and all play an integral role in the academic programs of the university. These organizations attract many scientific visitors to campus who engage in cooperative research with UH faculty and students, participate in seminar series, and supervise independent research projects.
Centers and institutes with significant College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics faculty involvement are listed below.
- Allied Geophysical Laboratories (AGL)
- Director: Robert Stewart, Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
- Biology of Behavior Institute (BoBI)
- Director: Brigitte Dauwalder, Department of Biology and Biochemistry
- Center for Nuclear Receptors and Cell Signaling (CNRCS)
- Director: Shaun Xiaoliu Zhang, Department of Biology and Biochemistry
- Conjugate Basins, Tectonics and Hydrocarbons
- Project P.I.: Paul Mann, Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
- Hewlett Packard Enterprise Data Science Institute
- Director: Claudia Neuhauser, UH Division of Research
- Institute for Climate and Atmospheric Science (ICAS)
- Director: Bernhard Rappenglueck, Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
- Low Frequency Seismic Technologies Consortium (LFST)
- Director: Mark A. Meier, Department of Physics
- Mission-Oriented Seismic Research Program (M-OSRP)
- Director: Arthur B. Weglein, Department of Physics
- Research Computing Data Core
- Texas Center for Superconductivity at the University of Houston (TcSUH)
- Director: Zhifeng Ren, Department of Physics
- University of Houston Coastal Center (UHCC)
- Director: Steven Pennings, Department of Biology and Biochemistry
Interdisciplinary research also is strong within and amog the college’s six departments, with other UH colleges, and with other institutions. Many faculty members have joint appointments within the college and with other departments at UH, facilitating collaborative research and providing rich training opportunities for both graduate and undergraduate students.