Skip to main content

Student Resources

General Resources


Diversity and Identity Abroad
Learn about specific resources to help you travel abroad.

Policies and Guidelines
Learn how to request and earn credit for your programs abroad.

ViaTRM Traveler Software
UH students can search for and should apply for Learning Abroad programs in ViaTRM, our online Traveler Software. UH Faculty, Staff, and the general public do not have access to create their own profiles on ViaTRM. For more information, please talk to a Learning Abroad staff member. 

Absentee Voting while Abroad
Be sure your vote counts, even while you are on a program abroad. Visit thie U.S. Vote Foundation's website linked above for more information. 

Career Resources
We recommend students to add their learning abroad experience to their resume and utilize it during their job search. View our  Career & Resume Handout for resume layout examples and other career support.
For more support, students can also meet with the University Career Services office. 


COVID-19 Resources

For the latest updates from the University of Houston, visit the UH COVID-19 website.

Programs Abroad during the Covid-19 Pandemic

Students may continue to plan their programs abroad with the help of our office. However, students should understand that fall Learning Abroad programs are subject to change or cancellation based on the University of Houston System international travel restrictions as affected by conditions both in the U.S. and abroad. If we approve a student's program application either on ViaTRM and/or with their program provider, that does not guarantee that the program will not be impacted in the future. Students should stay in close contact with their Learning Abroad advisor closely during their process applying to and preparing for their program abroad. 

Financial Support

  • The Cougar Emergency Fund is a grant administered through the Division of Student Affairs and Enrollment Services (DSAES), established through the generous gifts of alumni and friends of the University of Houston. It provides current students with assistance when an extraordinary need is identified, or students find themselves dealing with a personal or family emergency which creates uncertainty in being able to meet the costs associated with attending school. To request an application, click here.
  • CARES Act: UH has been granted $18.3 million through the federal CARES Act, which Congress has designated for emergency grants for students. For more information, see the univeristy's email on student emergency aid funding here.
  • Emergency loans: The UH Dean of Students Office offers emergency loans for unforeseen emergencies. Find more information here.

Academic Support

  • Classes are currently being offered online for the spring and summer semesters. While this may be a challenge for many students and faculty, we want to help make the shift to online learning as seamless as possible by providing a few key tips and resources.
  • Interim Grading Policy: Due to the unique and unprecedented challenges associated with the COVID-19 pandemic, the University of Houston is implementing an interim policy for undergraduate and graduate grades. This interim grade policy applies to spring 2020 and summer 2020 courses. Find more information here.

Student Support

  • Reverse culture shock is common when you return from abroad and may be more difficult when a program ends abruptly. You may find this resource from USAC helpful.
  • Health: Testing availability in Houston is continuing to develop. If you are showing symptoms, please call ahead to your medical provider to set up an appointment to be tested. If you have medical needs, please contact the UH Student Health Center for support.
  • Counseling: CAPS (Counseling and Psychological Services) can offer some support to students in this time of crisis. They are currently waiving fees for students. Please see their website for more information.


Forms & Documents

Financial Aid Forms

To request additional financial aid in the form of loans, students must complete the Learning Abroad Financial Aid form, submit it to their Learning Abroad advisor, and then turn it in to UH Financial Aid. Students can get additional aid if they have remaining funds from that academic year and if they are going on a program abroad for credit. Additional details and restrictions may apply on a case by case basis. Please talk to your adivsor and UH Financial Aid for more information. 

Workshop Presentations

Global Citizens Credential

The Global Citizens Credential (GCC) allows students to enhance their degrees with a set of core competencies that will distinguish them as global citizens. These are identified as global knowledge, global engagement, and global responsibility. Completion of GCC requirements is certified by the Office of the Provost – UH  Global and the Office of the Registrar. The GCC is open to any  UH  undergraduate student who is not facing any disciplinary action and is in good academic standing as reflected by a cumulative grade point average of 2.00 or above. For more information about the program and how to register, email uhglobal@  or visit the UH Global website .