It is the responsibility of international students who are required to maintain health insurance to ACTIVATE their enrollment in the Student Health Insurance Plan or submit a WAIVER for each coverage period no later than the posted deadline.
The University of Houston will submit your eligibility to activate your enrollment in the Student Health Insurance Plan to Academic HealthPlans, the third-party plan administrator, throughout each term’s Open Enrollment Activation and Wavier period.
During the ENROLLMENT ACTIVATION and WAIVER period, uploads from the university will be processed daily at approximately 6:00 AM, 2:00 PM, and 10:00 PM. After the health insurance charge has been posted to your university account, allow approximately one (1) hour after the next scheduled upload before attempting to ACTIVATE your enrollment.
Your enrollment activation is processed through Academic HealthPlans, the third-party administrator for the UH System-endorsed Student Health Insurance Plan. The Student Health Center does not accept or process enrollment activation requests.
It is recommended that you complete this ACTIVATION at least one week prior to the beginning of the new coverage period to ensure you have access to your insurance account and that you can obtain healthcare services.
Failure to ACTIVATE your enrollment in a timely manner will result in a delay in your ability to use your Student Health Insurance Plan.
If you do not ACTIVATE your enrollment in the Student Health Insurance Plan by the posted deadline, your enrollment will automatically activate after the close of the Open Enrollment Period for the designated coverage period. This may delay the activation of your insurance coverage for approximately 10 days after the close of the enrollment period.
Student Health Insurance Coverage Periods
The UH System Policy defines the Student Health Insurance Plan coverage periods as follows:
- FALL – New to Plan: August 1st – December 31 st
- FALL – Renewing: September 1st – December 31 st
- SPRING/SUMMER: January 1st – August 31 st
- SUMMER ONLY: June 1st – August 31 st
- Cost per Coverage Period
The health insurance fee that is charged to your university account is based on the number of days in the coverage period.
There IS NOT a Spring Only prorated coverage period. There are no exceptions to the Spring/Summer coverage period.
Online Enrollment Activation Periods
The Official Reporting Day listed for the regular session for each term is used as the posted deadline date for all sessions within that term.
- SUMMER 2023
May 26, 2023 (8:00 am CDT) – June 8, 2023 (5:00 pm CDT)
- FALL 2023
July 24, 2023 (8:00 am CDT) - September 6, 2023 (5:00 pm CDT)
- SPRING 2024
December 18, 2023 (8:00 am CDT) - January 31, 2024 (5:00pm CDT)
- SUMMER 2024
May 27, 2024 (8:00 am CDT) - June 6, 2024 (5:00 pm CDT)
Insurance Enrollment Activation Instructions
(you wish to be enrolled in the UHS Student Health Insurance Plan):
- Go to Academic HealthPlans: Enrollment Activation and Waiver
- Select the 'Click Here to Activate Your Enrollment' link.
By clicking the "Click Here to Activate Your Enrollment" link, you confirm that you have read and understand the University of Houston System Policy concerning F and J Visa International Health Insurance Requirements.
- Once you log in using your CougarNet ID and Password, select the enrollment option from the waiver dashboard by selecting the 'ENROLL' button under the "I Need Health Insurance" section. You will be prompted to confirm your selection and agree to the Terms and Conditions by entering your initials.
- Once submitted, you will receive an on-screen confirmation and a confirmation email advising you of your enrollment. Your enrollment will be submitted for processing.
- Using your online insurance account with Academic HealthPlans, you can confirm your coverage and coverage dates, find your member ID, verify or update your address and phone number, and print a temporary ID card.
- The insurance carrier will not automatically send you an ID card. Go to Academic HealthPlans and click on the “How to Get an ID Card” option for more information.
It may take up to 5 business days to have your coverage available for verification or to obtain prescription benefits outside of the UH Student Health Center & Campus Pharmacy.
QUESTIONS: Contact Academic HealthPlans Customer Service at 1-855-824-9683 or by using the AHP Help contact form.