The Student Health Center facilitates the reporting and communication functions on behalf of the university. The Student Health Center does not interpret/update a student's visa status, residency, class enrollment or determine who the university requires to maintain health insurance.
All international students, regardless of their visa status, are required to read and acknowledge the University of Houston International Student Health Insurance Requirement each semester.
A HOLD is placed on your university account until you complete this acknowledgment.
The university identifies a student as an international student at the time the Health Insurance Notification hold was placed. An update or correction of a student's international or enrollment status does not automatically remove the hold.
The hold cannot be manually reversed.
Contact the International Student and Scholar Services Office with any questions about your international status.
Please acknowledge this notification by going to the Acknowledgement Center page in UH Access.
Once you have acknowledged this notification, the hold will be removed automatically.
- Log into your university account (UH Access)
- Click on the UHS Acknowledgement Center
- Click to view the International Student Health Insurance Requirements
- Read the International Student Health Insurance Requirements
- I acknowledge that I have read and understand the full International Student Health Insurance Requirement.
- I understand that students with a status of “residency for tuition purposes only” or “pending permanent residency” are classified as international at the University of Houston.
- I understand that an international student with “non-F” or “non-J” visa status WILL NOT be automatically enrolled in the Student Health Insurance Plan. I understand that voluntary enrollment is available during the semester’s Open Enrollment period.
- I understand that an international student with “F” or “J” visa status will automatically be enrolled in the mandatory UHS-endorsed Student Health Insurance Plan and that I am required to activate my enrollment or submit a waiver each coverage period.
- I understand that an international student with “F” or “J” visa status may request a waiver of this mandatory health insurance fee with proof of acceptable alternate insurance during the posted waiver period each coverage period/semester and that late waiver submissions will not be accepted.
- I understand that an international student with “F” or “J” visa status remaining enrolled in the Student Health Insurance Plan must verify their address with the insurance company and request an Insurance ID card. An Insurance ID card will not automatically be mailed.
- I understand that it is my responsibility to inform the University of my current visa status and that any visa status changes that may affect or reverse my waiver request or enrollment in the mandatory SHIP must be posted to my university account no later than the posted semester deadline.
- I have verified that my visa status posted in my university account and confirm that it is accurate.
- I understand that I can contact International Student and Scholar Services if I have any questions about my international status.
- I understand that changes to the visa status posted to my university account may result in a health insurance charge being posted/reversed to my student financial account. I understand it is my responsibility to review charges posted to my student financial account.
- I understand that I will be required to acknowledge the International Student Health Insurance Requirement each semester I am classified as an international student at the University of Houston.
- Complete Acknowledgement
- The Hold will clear from your account.