A sampling of faculty, staff, student and alumni happenings:
Jie Zhang, an associate professor of bilingual education and associate department chair, was selected as a 2023 Scholar for the Getting SMART: Comprehensive Program for Adaptive Interventions Training in Education.
Charles Moore, who earned a M.Ed. in curriculum and instruction – reading and language arts education in 2020, has been named president of the Texas Council of Teachers of English Language Arts.
Graduate student Georgina Castilleja received the 2023 Mercedes Bonner Leadership award from the Texas Council of Teachers of English Language Arts. Castilleja is pursuing an Ed.D. in professional leadership – literacy education.
At least eight CUIN alumni and current students have won Teacher of the Year (TOY) awards for 2022-23:
- Alex Botelho, Carter Academy in Aldine ISD (Rookie TOY)
- Yessica Castillo, Cornelius Elementary School in Houston ISD (Houston Area Association for Bilingual Educators TOY)
- Mariana Flores, Bellfort Early Childhood Center in Houston ISD (Houston Area Association for Bilingual Educators TOY)
- Angel Hicks, Houston Area Alliance of Black School Educators for Fort Bend ISD (Secondary TOY)
- Andrea Jaime, Roosevelt Elementary in Houston ISD (TOY)
- Eastman Landry, Kinder High School for the Performing and Visual Arts in HISD (TOY)
- Laura Sandling, Houston Area Alliance of Black School Educators for Houston ISD (TOY)
- Mavenys Shavers, Seven Lakes Junior High School in Katy ISD (Rookie TOY)