Skip to main content

Minor in Special Populations

Is this program for me?

The minor in special populations provides students with coursework related to careers that support: individuals with disabilities (or those perceived to have disabilities); individuals who require greater levels of support as they age; or individuals who experience challenges with language, learning, social skills, or the effects of aging. The minor, open to all students, would be especially appropriate for the following majors: 

  • American Sign Language interpreting
  • Communication sciences and disorders
  • Health
  • Human development and family sciences
  • Nursing
  • Psychology
  • Sociology
  • Teaching and learning

What will I Learn?

Students pursuing a minor in special populations will learn to:

  • Understand, assess and evaluate the needs of individuals across the lifespan with disabilities to make evidence-based decisions.
  • Recognize the significance of diversity for evaluation, planning and intervention.
  • Promote educational, independent living, behavioral and social performance.
  • Apply knowledge of transition issues across the lifespan.

Since degree plans change periodically, students will follow the degree plan that is in place at the time in which they complete an official, signed degree plan. Please see the requirements for the special populations minor on the UH website.

To apply for this minor, make an appointment with the special populations undergraduate advisor.

For more information about course content please contact Dr. Charlotte Carp, special populations program coordinator.

Undergraduate Student Handbook

While containing important information about the University, the undergraduate student handbook is not comprehensive in its listings. Instead, vital information is presented, and when necessary, the handbook will refer to other publications that provide more detailed information. The provisions of this handbook do not constitute a contract, expressed or implied, between any person and the University of Houston.

For more information please contact the special populations advisor.