Skip to main content



The undergraduate curriculum provides a pre-professional foundation for graduate study in Communication Sciences and Disorders and related fields. Courses are offered in typical and disordered speech, language and hearing across the lifespan. Students choose to pursue a Bachelor of Science degree or a Bachelor of Arts degree.

About the Undergraduate Program: General Information

The undergraduate curriculum provides a pre-professional foundation for graduate study in Communication Sciences and Disorders and related fields. Courses are offered in typical and disordered speech, language and hearing across the lifespan. Students choose to pursue a Bachelor of Science degree or a Bachelor of Arts degree.

The curriculum includes 35 hours in sequenced COMD classes and 6 hours of Social Sciences electives. The American Speech Language Hearing Association requires that undergraduate students in Communication Sciences and Disorders also demonstrate college level background in the following areas. These requirements can all be met through University Core.

  • Biology
  • Physical Sciences, and
  • Math

Any incoming freshman, college transfer, international, or current UH student interested in majoring in COMD must apply first as a PRE-COMD Major. Pre-COMD majors are required to complete the following prerequisites prior to being approved as COMD majors.

  • Completion of COMD 1333 Introduction to Communication Disorders or its equivalent

  • Completion of COMD Core Courses with grades of B- or better:

    • COMD 2339: Speech and Language Development

    • COMD 2338: Phonetics

    • COMD 2376: Anatomy

  • Completion of a speech, language and hearing screening

  • Earned a minimum overall GPA of 2.67

Once Pre-COMD requirements are completed, students must file a general petition to declare a COMD major. The general petition is subject to evaluation by the advisor, the undergraduate coordinator and the department chair. Students are NOT considered COMD majors until the petition has been approved.

back to top

Career Opportunities

A student with a major in Communication Sciences and Disorders is preparing for a career as a speech-language pathologist or audiologist. Professional speech-language pathologists and audiologists provide diagnostic and therapeutic services to individuals who present a variety of communication disorders. These diagnostic and therapeutic services are performed in a variety of settings including public schools, community clinics, hospitals, and private practices. US News and World Report includes Audiology as one of its top 25 careers of 2009 and “accent reduction specialist” (a specialty within the field of Speech Language Pathology) as one of 2009’s “Best-Kept-Secret Careers.” See more career information.

back to top

Undergraduate Advisor Contact Information:

Jessica Zoll – Undergraduate Advisor
Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders
4455 Cullen Blvd, CRS 1004
University of Houston
Houston, TX 77204-6018
Phone: 713-743-2764

Email is the preffered method of communication.

You can make an appointment to meet with our advisor by clicking on your MyUHSelfService’s “Advising” button. Next, click on Appointment with Advisor to find his availability. If you are not already a COMD or ASLI major click on Appointment with Other Advisor and fill in the drop down menus as depicted below: for Academic Major select either COMD or ASLI, whichever interests you. If there are no appointments available, new appointments will be opened up every other Friday afternoon in two week intervals. Check back then.


back to top

Frequently Asked Questions

1.) I am transferring from a junior college, will my credits transfer?

As long as you received a grade of C or better your courses should transfer especially if they were taken to fulfill a core requirement in a state of Texas institution. However, only 66 lower level (freshman or Sophomore) level courses can be used towards a degree at the University of Houston. It is also important to note that your last 30 hours must be taken continuously at the University. In order to graduate with Latin honors at the University of Houston, you must complete at least 66 hours at the University of Houston with a cumulative grade point average of 3.25 or higher.

2.) I have completed all my core classes at another Texas school, but I noticed that the University of Houston doesn’t have the same courses for their core. Will I have to take more courses to fulfill those core requirements?

If you attended another State of Texas funded accredited institution, the University of Houston will recognize your courses to fulfill the appropriate core requirements. However, an institution receiving a student in transfer is not required to accept component core course semester credit hours beyond the maximum specified in a core component area. Students should seek academic advising when transferring courses among institutions. See also UH's transfer credit guidelines.

3.) Outside of the major courses, what other requirements are there?

The first requirement is the Texas Core Curriculum. Courses designated as Core can be used to fulfill these categories. The American Speech Language Hearing Association (ASHA) requires that undergraduate students in Communication Sciences and Disorders demonstrate college level background in Biology and Physical Science (geology, physics, chemistry, astronomy, oceanography, etc.). These ASHA requirements can be met through your natural sciences Core courses.

The College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences (CLASS) also has specific graduation requirements. Nine (9) credits must be filled by completing 3 courses from 3 different departments within the college. These courses cannot apply to the core or to your declared major.

Finally, the college also requires its students to complete a minor. Any minor offered by the University of Houston is valid for our major. Note that each department that offers a minor has its own set of criteria. Also, there is always a requirement that a certain number of credits within the minor be taken at the University of Houston.

4.) Do you offer night or summer courses?

All of our Undergraduate courses are offered during the day during the Fall and Spring semesters. Students often take courses in their minor or for the Core during the summers.

5.) Do I have to apply separately to the Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders in order to start taking classes?

Mandatory group advising sessions are held each semester to explain departmental policies. We welcome all students to take the beginning classes in the major. However, you must complete the COMD Core successfully before you can be officially designated as a major in COMD.

6.) Can I minor in Communication Sciences and Disorders?

Yes. You must make an appointment with the department academic advisor in order to declare a minor and to file a minor degree plan.

7.) Can I take American Sign Language as a foreign language? Can I minor in it?

American Sign Language (ASL) is recognized as a foreign language by the State of Texas and we offer enough courses to fulfill the foreign language requirement. However, there are not enough courses to complete a minor.

8.) Do I have to finish my associates' degree or be core complete before taking courses in the major?

We welcome students to start taking courses at the freshman level. You can easily work on completing other requirements while taking the initial courses in the major.

9.) Where can I get the Observation Tracking Form?

Requests for copies of the Observation Tracking Form will be processed by the Program Coordinator.  Further, any documentation needed for licensure or certification will be arranged or processed by Ms. Laura Cizek.  This includes the Program Director’s (Dr. Maher) signature on the Texas Department of State Health Services, State Board of Examiners for Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology Form (#F76-10790). You may request an by clicking here on the link for requesting an Observation Tracking Form. Please follow the procedure described in the request form.

10.) Why is there a COMD Core?

The COMD Core courses (COMD 2339, COMD 2338 and COMD 2376) are foundational courses for our major. They (or their approved equivalents) are required for all Pre-COMD Students in order to ensure that each student has a solid basis on which to build knowledge in later classes. These courses must be completed with a grade of B- or higher and may not be repeated.

Students who have not completed the COMD Core successfully will not be allowed to declare COMD as a major.

back to top