Skip to main content


Frequently Asked Questions

1. I am transferring from a junior college, will my credits transfer?

As long as you received a grade of C or better, your courses should transfer, especially if they were taken to fulfill a core requirement in a state of Texas institution. However, only 66 lower level (freshman or sophomore) courses can be used towards a degree at the University of Houston. It is also important to note that your last 30 hours must be taken continuously at the University. In order to graduate with Latin honors at the University of Houston, you must complete at least 66 hours at the University of Houston with a cumulative grade point average of 3.25 or higher.

2. I have completed all my core classes at another Texas school, but I noticed that the University of Houston does not have the same courses for their core. Will I have to take more courses to fulfill those core requirements?

If you attended another state of Texas funded accredited institution, the University of Houston will recognize your courses to fulfill the appropriate core requirements. However, an institution receiving a student in transfer is not required to accept component core course semester credit hours beyond the maximum specified in a core component area. Students should seek academic advising when transferring courses among institutions. See also UH's transfer credit guidelines.

3. Outside of the major courses, what other requirements are there?

The first requirement is the Texas Core Curriculum. Courses designated as Core can be used to fulfill these categories. The American Speech Language Hearing Association (ASHA) requires that undergraduate students in communication sciences and disorders complete college-level, standalone coursework in biological sciences, chemistry or physics, social/behavioral sciences, and statistics. These ASHA requirements can be met through your university core courses.

The College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences (CLASS) also has specific graduation requirements. Nine credits must be filled by completing three courses from three different departments within the college. These courses cannot apply to the core or to your declared major.

Finally, the College also requires its students to complete a minor. Any minor offered by the University of Houston is valid for our major. Note that each department that offers a minor has its own set of criteria. Also, there is always a requirement that a certain number of credits within the minor be taken at the University of Houston.

4. Do you offer night or summer courses?

All of our undergraduate courses are offered during the day during the fall and spring semesters. Students often take courses in their minor or for the core during the summers.

5. Do I have to apply separately to the department of communication sciences and disorders in order to start taking classes?

We welcome all students to take the beginning classes in the major. However, you must complete the pre-COMD courses successfully before you can be officially designated as a major in COMD.

6. Can I minor in communication sciences and disorders?

Yes. You must make an appointment with the department academic advisor in order to declare a minor and to file a minor degree plan.

7. Can I take American Sign Language as a foreign language? Can I minor in it?

American Sign Language (ASL) is recognized as a foreign language by the state of Texas, and we offer enough courses to fulfill the foreign language requirement. However, there are not enough courses to complete a minor.

8. Do I have to finish my associates' degree or be core complete before taking courses in the major?

We welcome students to start taking courses at the freshman level. You can easily work on completing other requirements while taking the initial courses in the major.

9. Where can I observe a speech-language pathologist or audiologist?

You may shadow or visit a speech-language pathologist or audiologist that you know in any setting (e.g., public school, private practice, hospital, private school, etc.). The purpose of your observation would be to learn about the profession. The time you spend with them will provide valuable insights; however, the time may not count toward a class or program requirement. When enrolled in the undergraduate program, you will have opportunities to accrue observation hours that meet specific standards needed for future licensure and certification.

10. I graduated years ago and lost my observation verification letter.  Can I have a copy of my letter from my student file?

You may request a copy of your letter by contacting the undergraduate advisor In addition to the letter, if you need the program director's signature for licensing, please inform the advisor at the time of your request.

11. What are the foundational courses of COMD?

The pre-COMD courses (COMD 1333, COMD 2339, COMD 2338 and COMD 2376) are foundational courses for our major. They (or their approved equivalents) are required for all Pre-COMD students in order to ensure that each student has a solid basis on which to build knowledge in later classes. 

Students who have not completed the pre-COMD courses successfully will not be allowed to declare COMD as a major.

back to top