Skip to main content

International Transfer

You'll apply as an international transfer student if you plan to attend the University of Houston with citizenship from a country outside the U.S. and are transferring a minimum of 15 credit hours from an accredited university.

Admissions Requirements

  • 2.5 overall college GPA
  • Transfer students with fewer than 15 hours (fewer than 30 hours for business majors) must submit an official final high school transcript and an official ACT/SAT score

English Language Proficiency Requirement

TOEFL (iBT) IELTS Overall Duolingo English Test
79 6.5 105

Please note: International transfer students may be exempt from submitting a TOEFL or IELTS score by completing 30 or more semester credit hours from a U.S. accredited institution of higher education, including coursework equivalent to UH English Composition ENGL 1303 and ENGL 1304 with a grade of “C” or better and/or the completion of an AA or AS degree from an accredited institution of higher education.


Term Application Type Open Date Application Close Date Supporting Information* Due
Spring 2025 International Transfer 8/1/2024 11/4/2024 11/11/2024
Summer 2025 International Transfer 8/1/2024 4/1/2025 4/8/2025
Fall 2025 International Transfer 8/1/2024 5/5/2025 5/12/2025

*Supporting information includes application fee, official transcript(s) from all attended institution(s), and test scores (if applicable). 

Transferring College Credit

Transfer credit is awarded for transferable courses that are completed with a grade C- or better. A maximum of 66 lower division (freshman and sophomore-level) semester credit hours can be transferred as credit. There’s no limit to the number of upper division (junior and senior-level) semester credit hours that can transfer to UH. However, students must complete at least 30 semester credit hours in residence at UH to complete baccalaureate degree requirements.

International credit will be transferred as general elective credit or elective credit within a subject area. Students may choose to complete an Undergraduate Transfer Credit Petition, which will be reviewed by faculty in the appropriate college and department to determine if the work and credit are of suitable content and rigor. This process takes place during the first enrolled term. The application of transfer credit toward a degree at the university cannot be determined until the transcripts have been evaluated and a degree plan is processed.

Transfer Equivalency Guides

Steps to Apply

  1. Apply Online

    Submit your application to using either the ApplyTexas Application or The Common Application. Submit just one application.

  2. Pay Application Fee

    Pay the nonrefundable $90 application fee with a credit card or debit card. Payment can be made in your myUH self-service portal or before submitting the admissions application.

  3. Submit Official Test Scores

    Test scores should be sent directly from the testing agency. Our code for ACT is 4236; SAT is 6870; TOEFL is 6870. The testing agency should mail official IELTS score reports to the University of Houston, Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

    SAT/ACT scores are only required for special programs. Please note that TOEFL/IELTS test scores expire two full years after the test date.

  4. Submit College Transcripts

    Send college transcripts for all college-level coursework completed to process an admission decision. The University of Houston requires official transcripts but will accept an uploaded copy of official transcripts for any institution outside of the U.S. in order to complete your application. Uploaded copies submitted for an admission decision are not considered official copies. Please note that we require official copies of your final academic records should you be admitted.

    Your college or university registrar can also send us your transcript data electronically through an EDI (Electronic Data Interchange) system, e.g. Speede.

    *Official transcripts must either state "official," have your institution's seal, a signature by a school official, or an official watermark. It’s up to the Office of Admission’s discretion to determine the transcript's validity, and the office reserves the right to request additional or different copies if needed.

  5. Submit Immigration Documents

    All applicants are required to submit a copy of their passport ID page(s).

      1. F-1s in the U.S. are required to submit a copy of page 1 and 2 of the SEVIS I-20 and a copy of their I-94 record.
      2. J-1s in the U.S. are required to submit a copy of page 1 of the DS-2019 and a copy of their I-94 record.
  6. Submit Financial Documents

    Official bank statements issued no older than (6) months.

    1. Bank statements must have an original signature from the bank agent and or an official stamp/seal of the issuing bank.
    2. The amount should be at least $41,410.
    3. Multiple funding sources are acceptable as long as the sum of the funding available meets the academic year estimate.
    4. Multiple sponsors are acceptable. However, each sponsor must sign an Affidavit of Support. Students supporting themselves must also sign an Affidavit of Support.

    Acceptable financial documents include:

    1. Statement from the bank signed by agent or bank stamp/seal
    2. Letter written from bank with the amount clearly indicated in U.S. dollars
    3. Checking, savings, or certificate of deposit statements
    4. Scholarship letters
    5. Letters showing government funding
  7. Submit SEVIS Transfer Form

    International transfer students must contact your current International Advisor to complete the SEVIS Transfer Form and request for your current school to release your SEVIS record to University of Houston-System.

Required Items for I-20 Form (F-1 Visa)

The following items are required to apply for an F-1 visa or maintain F-1 visa status. Upload your documents to your myUH self-service account at (All documents must be uploaded as a PDF file.)

  • Statement of Financial Support Form. The Statement of Financial Support Form must be less than six months old from the date of the sponsor(s)’ signature(s).
  • Bank Statement. The bank statement must be less than six months old, and it must indicate a minimum balance of USD $41,410 or the equivalent.
    To upload: If you have more than one page, please save all pages into one PDF file before uploading.
  • Copy of biometric page of current passport. Submit a copy of your biometric page of your current passport (and U.S. visa, if available).
  • International Address Form. International students seeking an I-20 from the University of Houston must provide a physical address outside the United States in their home country using the International Address Form