International Transfer - University of Houston
Skip to main content

Scholarships for International undergraduate students are available. Learn more

Your new home away from home.

Transfer to University of Houston, a leading Tier One university with more than 120 degree options and world-renowned professors. When you join UH, you become part of one of the most diverse student bodies in the country. You'll apply as an international transfer student if you plan to attend the University of Houston with citizenship from a country outside the U.S. and are transferring a minimum of 15 credit hours from an accredited university.


Important Dates and Deadlines

Spring 2025

Application Due: Nov. 4, 2024
Supporting Information* Due:
Nov. 11, 2024

Summer 2025

Application Due: April 1, 2025
Supporting Information* Due:
April 8, 2025

Fall 2025

Application Due: May 5, 2025
Supporting Information* Due: May 12, 2025

*Supporting information includes application fee and official transcript(s) from all attended institution(s).

Admissions Requirements

Admissions Type Hours of College-Level Credit Earned Minimum Required GPA
Assured Admission 15 or more* 2.5
Individual Review** 15 or more* 2.25-2.49

*If you've earned less than 15 hours of college-level credit, you'll have to meet freshman admission criteria to be admitted. Only credits obtained after earning a high school credential will be counted toward the 15 hours.

**If you don’t meet the assured admissions requirements, we may consider additional factors in the admissions process. If we require additional documentation, we’ll request those materials from you.


Many majors have additional requirements other than the ones listed above. Find out more information about majors with additional requirements for transfer students

English Language Requirements

All applicants, regardless of citizenship status, must demonstrate proficiency in English to obtain admission to the university. To fulfill this requirement, you must satisfy at least one of the following criteria:

Earn a high school diploma, Associate of Arts, Associate of Science, bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited U.S. high school, college or university.

Complete the equivalent of a high school education or the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor's degree in a recognized English-speaking country.

Take the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or IELTS (International English Language Testing Service) or the Duolingo English Test. See minimum test score requirements below.

Test Score Requirements

TOEFL (iBT) IELTS Overall Duolingo English Test
79 6.5 105

Frequently Asked Questions

  • How does UH calculate my GPA?

    We will calculate your cumulative GPA for all transferable college-level courses from all schools attended. For repeated courses, grades from all course attempts will be used for calculation of cumulative GPA. We do not count developmental coursework. The cumulative GPA is for admission purposes only and will not transfer to your UH GPA.
  • What type of course credits transfer to UH?

    Transfer credit is awarded for college-level courses — completed with a C- or better — at regionally accredited colleges and universities. We will award college-level credit from regionally-accredited institutions who provide grades of S (Satisfactory) or P (Pass) during semesters impacted by COVID-19.

    Hours earned from S or P grades will be counted toward transfer hours, but will not be factored in the calculation of your cumulative transfer GPA and will not factor into your GPA at UH. F grades will count toward the calculation of your cumulative transfer GPA.

    Use our Transfer Credit Estimator, a new tool designed to help you estimate how your course credits may transfer to your chosen major and degree program.

  • Can I be exempt from submitting test scores?

    International transfer students may be exempt from submitting a TOEFL or IELTS score by completing 30 or more semester credit hours from a U.S. accredited institution of higher education, including coursework equivalent to UH English Composition ENGL 1303 and ENGL 1304 with a grade of “C” or better and/or the completion of an AA or AS degree from an accredited institution of higher education.

Application Process

Use ApplyTexas or the Common App to apply. Submit just one application. The application is where you’ll indicate to be reviewed with or without ACT or SAT test scores. Be sure to complete the short admissions essay and tell us about your achievements and extracurricular activities. Pay the $90 Application Fee for international students ($75 for U.S. applicants) when you submit your online application.

All applicants who completed/completing high school outside the US from a non-English speaking countries are required to provide proof of English Language Proficiency. Proof of English language proficiency must be received by the application deadline.

Have your TOEFL, IELTS, or Duolingo English test score(s) sent directly from the testing agency to us. To learn about accepted test scores and exemptions, view our English language requirements.

Submit official* transcripts, mark sheet(s), and degree certificates from all post-secondary schools (universities and colleges) attended, in the USA or in another country.

Transcript Submission Options

  1. Uploading PDF copies of Transcripts - For universities outside the United States, students can upload transcripts to myUH self-service. A copy of the official transcripts for any school/college outside the U.S. can be uploaded to the self-service portal by following the Upload Transcript Guide. Uploaded transcripts are considered unofficial but can complete an application for admission consideration. Admitted students are required to submit official copies of their final academic records before enrollment.


  1. Sending Transcripts Electronically - Ask your school administrator to send your official transcripts electronically through a secure electronic transcript service such as: TRex, SPEEDE, Common App, Naviance, Parchment, etc.


  1. Sending Transcripts by Postal Mail Official - Transcripts can be mailed in an institutional-sealed envelope to: Office of Admission, International Admission, University of Houston-Welcome Center, 4434 University Drive, Houston, TX 77204, U.S.A.

All hard copy documents submitted by international applicants as part of the application process become the property of the University of Houston and will not be returned to the student. 

*Official transcripts must either state "official", have your institution's seal, a signature by a school official, or official watermark. It is up to the discretion of the Office of Admissions to determine the validity of the transcript and the office reserves the right to request additional or different copies if needed. Any transcript that has been uploaded to the student portal by the student will be considered unofficial and University of Houston will require official copies of the final academic records if admitted.

Admitted students are notified by email and provided instructions to receive an I-20.

Submit these materials after admission:

  • Passport ID
  • Financial Documents
  • International Address Form

Learn more about receiving your I-20

Register for your mandatory Orientation in your self-service portal.

Then, complete the International Student Check-In. Learn more about the International Student Check-In process at

Receiving Your I-20 (F-1 Visa)

The following items are required to apply for an F-1 visa or maintain F-1 visa status. Upload your documents to your myUH self-service account at (All documents must be uploaded as a PDF file.)


  • Statement of Financial Support Form

    The Statement of Financial Support Form must be less than six months old from the date of the sponsor(s)’ signature(s).

  • Bank Statement

    The bank statement must be less than six months old, and it must indicate a minimum balance of USD $41,410 or the equivalent.

    To upload: If you have more than one page, please save all pages into one PDF file before uploading.

  • Copy of biometric page of current passport

    Submit a copy of your biometric page of your current passport (and U.S. visa, if available).

  • International Address Form

    International students seeking an I-20 from the University of Houston must provide a physical address outside the United States in their home country using the International Address Form

  • SEVIS Transfer-In Form (Only F-1 visa students that are ADMITTED to UH and currently attending another US institution)

    If you are currently attending a U.S. high school/college with an F1 Visa, UH will need to receive your SEVIS record. In order to complete the transfer-in process to UH, please have the International Advisor at your current institution complete the SEVIS Transfer Form and request for your current school to release your SEVIS record to University of Houston-System. 

Transfer Excellence Scholarship

This scholarship awards $2,000 per year ($1,000 each semester, limited to two years) to eligible transfer students who enroll in the fall semester. For eligibility requirements, visit

Out-of-State Tuition Waiver

Out-of-state and international students who receive $1,000 or more from a competitive University of Houston scholarship may qualify for an out-of-state tuition waiver. This means waiver recipients will pay in-state tuition rates.

Student Life

  • Photo of Cougar Village on the University of Houston campus.


    Want to learn and grow in your own space? Living on campus is a great option. With multiple housing options to accommodate your campus experience, we can't wait to welcome you home!
  • A student rockclimbing in the Rec Center.

    Get Involved

    550+ student organizations. 35+ fraternities and sororities. 100+ multi-cultural organizations. 15 intercollegiate sports teams. No matter who you are, we have a lot to o­ffer. So, between classes and making memories that’ll last a lifetime, you’re going to have plenty to do.
  • A UH Ambassador giving a campus tour.

    Guided Virtual Tours

    The Office of Admissions is now offering virtual campus visits. Register for an opportunity to receive a live campus tour from a UH student ambassador and a brief information session from an admissions representative. This visit is approximately 30 minutes.
  • The E Cullen Building on the University of Houston campus.


    International Student and Scholar Services (ISSSO) provides support for the special needs of international students and exchange visitors related to their status as non-immigrants of the United States. They offer many services such as facilitating official campus check-in and orientation, assisting with maintaining visa status and U.S. regulation compliance, providing counseling and advocacy services and more.


Admissions representatives are experts when it comes to applying to the University of Houston. If you'd like to talk to an admissions representative for admissions support, you can schedule a virtual admissions advising appointment, or contact us by phone at 713-743-1010, option 4 or by email at Please note that admissions representatives do not provide support with course selection or registration.