In order to become a certified teacher, preservice teachers must pass the TExES Content Exam for the level and major in which they wish to teach, as well as the TExES Pedagogy and Professional Responsibilities (PPR) exam for the grade level they wish to teach. You also must be approved by the University of Houston to sign up for these exams.
Towards the end of the CI and the beginning of taking MTS are the ideal times to begin preparing for certification as there is a 45-day limit on applying qualifier scores towards taking TExES exams. It is strongly suggested that you purchase a study guide and access these online resources during your preparation.
Below are the instructions for teachHOUSTON students to complete certification through the University of Houston:
Getting Certified to Teach: A Checklist for tH Students
Expand All Collapse All
Go to www.certifyteacher.com. (Click on link or copy and paste in web browser) Be sure to use promo code COUGARS4728 to pay 35$ for each course. You must create an account prior to attending proctored exams.
Due to COVID-19, face-to-face proctored testing has been canceled until further notice. Qualifier exams will be completed remotely (i.e., from home). Please use the honor system during this time. No unauthorized materials and resources should be used during your qualifying exam! Failure to do so will only hurt your ability to pass the actual TExES exams.
NOTE: The qualifier exam score is valid for 45 days. If you wait too long to sign up for the TExES exams after you receive approval, you will need to take a new qualifier exam PRIOR to taking the TExES exam. Failure to follow instructions can prolong your ability to be properly certified.
Approved MaterialsThe PPR does not have approve testing materials. For content exams, upon signing up for remote qualifier, you should receive the appropriate testing materials via email. If you do not receive these items, contact Jacqueline Ekeoba at email@example.com or 713-743-0222.
- Sign up at least 24 hours in advance of the desired date and time for the qualifier exam using this link. You must sign up at least 24 hours in advance of the desired date and time for the exam to count as your qualifier.
- If issues arise in scheduling a qualifying exam, please contact Jacqueline Ekeoba at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You must pass both PPR and Content Diagnostic exam prior to the conclusion of your MTS course, so plan accordingly.
- If you score below a 260 on your qualifying exam:
- If you scored a 260 or above on your qualifying exam:
- You must still complete the competency (quizzes) for each section under an 85%.
- Email proof of completing this to Jacqueline Ekeoba at email@example.com.
NOTE: If you fail to meet the minimum passing score on a TExES exam, TEA has temporarily reduced the waiting period for another attempt to 30 days. You must contact Jacqueline Ekeoba for the next steps to be approved for another attempt.
After passing both exams, you may apply for your official state certification at pryor.tea.state.tx.us.
- Go to the Main Menu and look for the tabs on the left side of the screen.
- Under the Applications tab, select Standard Texas Certificate Program.
- Click on Apply for Certification.
- Select the University of Houston (University-based) and click on ‘Apply’ after entering your information. Be sure you chose the correct campus. Otherwise your application will be delayed.
- Payment: There is a $77 application fee and a $42.25 fingerprinting fee. Payment is required in order for your certification to be processed.
For questions about the certification process listed above, please contact Jacqueline Ekeoba at firstname.lastname@example.org.