This information is for the University of Houston hiring departments who have hired or are interested in hiring a foreign national. This information does not constitute legal advice.
This category is reserved for individuals who have exceptional ability in the sciences, arts, or business. To qualify, the individual must provide at least three items from the following list provided by the USCIS:
- An official academic record showing the individual has a degree, diploma, certificate or similar award from a college, university, school or other institution of learning relating to the area of exceptional ability;
- Letters documenting at least ten years of full-time experience in the occupation being sought;
- A license to practice the profession or certification for a particular profession or occupation;
- Evidence that the individual has commanded a salary or other remuneration for services which demonstrates exceptional ability;
- Membership in professional associations; and
- Recognition for achievements and significant contributions to the industry or field by peers, government entities, professional or business organizations.
This petition requires sponsorship by a U.S. employer. In addition, it may require the filing of a labor certification application with the Department of Labor.