The Richard Murray Endowed Scholarship was established in 2008 for the purpose of honoring Dr. Richard Murray's service to the Houston community and over 50 years of teaching and research at the University of Houston.
An Overview of Dr. Murray's Accomplishments
- Taught political science at UH since 1966
Founded the Hobby Center for Public Policy (HCPP) in 1981 with a small group of UH faculty
Established the HCPP’s polling operations in 1981
Co-authored Pro-Growth Politics Change and Governance in Houston (1991)
Served as director of the HCPP from 1996-2006
Created the HCPP’s Houston Government Internship Program in 1996
Launched the computer assisted survey system in the Survey Research Institute in 2000
Awarded the Bob Lanier Chair in Urban Public Policy in 2004
From left to right: Mrs. Elyse Lanier, Mayor Bob Lanier, Dr. Richard Murray, and Debbie Hartman-Murray
The Richard Murray Endowed Scholarship will be awarded to an outstanding undergraduate student who shares a passion for politics and policy, has a strong academic commitment and demonstrates a dedication to public service. A minimum of one $1250.00 award will be presented every year. Private funds were raised to endow this scholarship.
Congratulations to Carolina Lopez-Herrera and Kryss Schofield, 2020 Richard Murray Endowed Scholarship Recipients
The scholarship recipient(s) will be determined by the Richard Murray Scholarship Committee comprised of Hobby School of Public Affairs representatives. Criteria includes the following:
- Scholarship prospect exhibits leadership qualities as determined by the Hobby School Scholarship Committee.
- Scholarship applicant should have a strong academic commitment and demonstrate dedication to public service.
- Scholarship applicant should demonstrate a passion for politics and policy.
- Scholarship applicant can be a certified full-time undergraduate or graduate certificate or degree-seeking student in good standing at the University of Houston.
- Scholarship recipient must maintain a GPA in accordance with the standards set by the Hobby School Scholarship Committee.
- Scholarship recipient may accept other scholarships and grants in conjunction with the Dr. Richard Murray Scholarship.
- Funds can be used to cover expenses for tuition, books, fees. and/or supplies for the coming academic semester. Any expenses of a recipient in excess of the amount deposited must be borne by the student.