Principal Certification - University of Houston
Skip to main content

Principal Certification

If you want to make an impact beyond the classroom, the University of Houston College of Education can help you become a certified principal in Texas. We offer two main options:

  • Master’s degree, plus certification: Our M.Ed. in administration and supervision program will prepare you to work as a school principal. The program is designed for working professionals and can be completed in as few as two years.
  • Certification only: If you already have a master’s degree and are only seeking certification to be a principal, this option is designed to be completed in as little as one calendar year. (On the online UH application, chose "certificate" for the type of program you are seeking.)
  • Note: Students also may pursue principal certification if they are seeking an M.Ed. in special populations – special education leadership, an Ed.D. in professional leadership – special populations or an M.Ed. in curriculum and instruction. Contact Clinical Assistant Professor Keith Butcher at for details.

You must be certified to work as a public school principal in Texas. Private schools can set their own requirements.


After being admitted into the University of Houston, you also must be admitted into the College of Education’s principal-preparation program. This is a state requirement for all educator-prep programs. Students should look for more information from the College after being accepted to UH.

Basic requirements include:

  • Having a GPA of 2.5 or higher (based on last degree earned)
  • Holding a valid Texas teacher certification
  • Having at minimum a bachelor’s degree

UH typically has a high admission rate for those who meet the state requirements.


Once formally admitted in the certification program, you must complete the following:

  • 200+ clock hours of content and pedagogy (5+ courses)
    • For the master's degree, additional courses will be required.
  • 160+ practicum hours
  • 135+ observation minutes by a UH field supervisor


To earn certification, you must:

  • Successfully complete all coursework.
  • Complete all required practicum hours and observations.
  • Complete the degree program.
  • Hold a valid Texas teacher certification.
  • Have two years of classroom teaching experience in a public or accredited private school.
  • Hold at minimum a master’s degree.
  • Pass the 268/Principal as Instructional Leader certification exam and the 368/Performance Assessment for School Leaders (PASL).*

Contact Us

General certification questions

Certification office
UH College of Education

Program certification questions

Keith Butcher
Clinical assistant professor
UH College of Education