To apply for this program, please visit Graduate Admissions.
Is this program for me?
The Principal Certification Only Program provides a strong foundation of knowledge, skills, real world experience, and innovative research to prepare students to be educational leaders. Graduates fill an important need in the community, serving in diverse positions in both public and private educational institutions. The certification fulfills requirements for the Texas Standard Principal Certificate. However, graduates also pursue positions across the educational community and in business settings.
The Principal Certification Only Program fulfills requirements for the Texas Examinations of Educator Standards (TExES) Principal (068) certification.
The program is designed to be completed in 18 credit hours and in one calendar year. This would consist of one consecutive Spring, Summer, and Fall term.
What will I learn?
The Principal Certification Only Program develops professional leadership, ethical, interpersonal, and intrapersonal skills. Through specialized coursework, preparing for the Texas Examinations of Educator Standards (TExES) Principal (068), and clinical –based internships, students will have the ability to:
- Work in complex, ambiguous, fast-paced, and often-uncertain contexts unique to schools
- Have a high commitment to the safety and dignity of students
- Maintain a strong work ethic and a desire “to get things done”
- Understand the professional knowledge base for school administration and use it to think reflectively, critically, and creatively in dealing with problems and dilemmas
- Show confidence in self to be an independent learner and an effective school administrator who acts based on current urban education theory and research
- Exhibit leadership with students, teachers, support staff, parents, and other community members to build and maintain a learning community within the school district and community
- Recognize the moral dimensions of schooling and maintain a high level of caring and ethics in motives, judgments, and interpersonal behavior
Unique features of this program:
- Coursework is hybrid in nature with up to 49% of instruction delivered in a synchronous or asynchronous online format
- All faculty, including adjunct professors, have experience as campus and/or district leadership
- The 18-hour program designed to be completed in one calendar year
- An internship course is embedded into the curriculum each semester; the supervising mentor is compensated with a stipend (restrictions apply)
What can I do with my certification?
The program prepares educators for academic leadership positions in public and non-public settings. It prepares professionals to work in a variety of roles as educators and mid to high-level administrative positions in:
- K-12 schools
- Community colleges
- Technical schools
- Adult schools
- Educational agencies
For more details, please contact email@example.com.
The College of Education partners with UH Sugar Land to offer courses for the Principal Certification Only Program. For more information, please contact Administration and Supervision Program Director Keith Butcher at 713-743-9599 or firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also visit the College of Education’s Admission Application Instructions.