The Department of Sociology invites applications for its newly instituted Undergraduate Scholarship for Sociology Majors. Complete applications received by the deadline will be reviewed by the Sociology Department Undergraduate Studies Committee. Selection of a scholarship recipient will be based on merit, including academic achievement and promise.
Eligibility: UH undergraduate students who meet the following criteria are eligible to apply. Applicants must:
- Be a Sociology major. Double majors are eligible. Pre-SOC students are not eligible.
- Be currently enrolled in a minimum of 9 SCH.
- Have a minimum overall GPA of 3.5.
- Have a minimum Sociology GPA of 3.5.
- Have completed at least 30 SCH, with at least 15 SCH in Sociology.
- Be enrolled at UH for at least one academic year.
- Be enrolled Fall 2023 and Spring 2024. Applicants graduating in December 2023 are not eligible.
- Not have received this scholarship previously. Students may only receive this scholarship once.
Application Process: There are three components to the application:
- Completed application form.
- Unofficial UH transcript.
- Personal statement: Applicants should submit a short personal statement (500 words or less) that describes their educational accomplishments, relevant activities (e.g., academic and special interest clubs, volunteering, and work experience), and career goals, including how sociology fits into these achievements and plans.
Submission of Applications: Applicants should submit a complete application (Items 1, 2, and 3) in a single pdf file to the Director of Undergraduate Studies via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline: Applications must be received by 5 p.m. CST on Monday, April 10, 2023.
Evaluation of Applications: Selection of a scholarship recipient will be based on merit, including academic achievement and promise. Applications will be evaluated by the Sociology Department Undergraduate Studies Committee. The committee reserves the right not to award the scholarship.
Award Notification and Disbursement of Funds: Applicants will be notified of the decision by the end of the Spring 2023 semester. All funds will be directly deposited into a student’s account. Half will be deposited ($500) during the Fall 2023 semester, and the remaining $500 will be deposited during Spring 2024 semester.
Announcement of Scholarship: The scholarship recipient will be acknowledged on the Department’s social media, as well as other department events. The recipient will be asked to provide a photograph for media purposes.
Contact: Questions about this scholarship should be directed to Dr. Maria Monserud, Director of Undergraduate Studies via email at email@example.com.