Skip to main content


The department of communication sciences and disorders at the University of Houston offers the following undergraduate degree programs:

Undergraduate Major in Communication Sciences and Disorders

Students majoring in communication sciences and disorders choose either a Bachelor of Science or a Bachelor of Arts degree. The primary difference between these two degrees is that the Bachelor of Science requires a focus in formal science and mathematics, and the Bachelor of Arts requires a focus in foreign language. An undergraduate degree in communication sciences and disorders is a pre-professional degree. A master's degree is required to practice as a speech language pathologist, and a clinical doctorate degree is required to practice as an audiologist. With a bachelor's degree in Communication Disorders, you may be able to work in Texas as an SLPA by completing clinical training with an employer. The details about becoming licensed as an SLPA in Texas are found on the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR) website.

Acceptance into the COMD major will only occur upon successful completion of the Pre-COMD courses.

4 Year Academic Map for B.A. degree

4 Year Academic Map for B.S. degree

Course descriptions can be found in the undergraduate catalog.

Undergraduate Minor in Communication Sciences and Disorders

You must see the undergraduate advisor to declare communication sciences and disorders as a minor. The minor must be approved at the department and college level. The COMD minor includes five required classes and a single elective course from a list of two. The University of Houston requires 16 hours for a minor. Nine of the 16 hours must be at the junior and/or senior level, and six of those nine hours must be completed in residence. All COMD minor courses must be completed with a grade of C or better. Students will be dropped from courses not on the minor plan. Neither the department nor the instructor will be responsible for tuition refunds when ineligible students are dropped from a course. Click to download the undergraduate minor agreement form. See more information about the undergraduate minor program.



Degree Plans

To file a degree plan, please consult with your advisor and the UH Undergraduate Catalog requirements.

Undergraduate Advisor Contact Information:

Jessica Zoll – Undergraduate Advisor
Melcher Life Sciences, Room M242C
3871 Holman Street
Houston, TX 77204-6018
Phone: 713-743-2909