VA Education Benefits - University of Houston
Skip to main content

VA Education Benefits

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, or Veterans Administration (VA), administers education benefits covered under Title 10 and Title 38, U.S. Code, otherwise known as the GI Bill. Complete the Application for VA Education Benefits online at the How to Apply link in accordance with your eligibility for the following programs.


Chapter 33 Post- 9/11 – applies to military personnel serving or completing service on or after September 10, 2001

Chapter 30 Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB) - applies generally to veterans entering service on or after July 1, 1985 through October 31, 2001.

Chapter 1606 Montgomery GI Bill - Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR) – applies to those who entered into a 6-year selected reserve obligation, in addition to their current obligation if an officer. See VA Pamphlet 22-90-3 for further requirements.

Chapter 32 Post-Vietnam Era Veterans' Educational Assistance Program (VEAP) – applies generally to veterans entering service after Dec. 31, 1976 and before July 1, 1985 who paid into the program while on active duty.

However, if you are a transfer student under Chapter 33, 30, 32, 1606, or 1607; a student changing a major or reentering the same program after dropping out; a dependent using previously transferred benefits; or you received VA education benefits as a veteran and now want to receive benefits while on active military duty, complete the Application for VA Education Benefits online at the How to Apply link.


Chapter 35 – applies to dependents of veterans who are permanently and totally disabled or died of a service-connected injury or illness as a result of active duty. Complete the Dependents' Application for VA Education Benefits online at the How to Apply link. Also use this form to apply for the Post-9/11 GI Bill Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship for dependents of a veteran who died during active duty after September 10, 2001. The applicant must select to apply for either the education benefit or the scholarship, and the choice is irrevocable. If changing majors or transferring, complete the Dependents' Request for Change of Program or Place of Training online at the How to Apply link to upgrade your current benefits.

Chapter 30, 33, 1606, and 1607 – applies to eligible dependents who received a transfer of education benefits from a veteran. Use Application for Family Member to Use Transferred Benefits online at the How to Apply link.

Please Note:

We recommend that you apply for the Emergency Deferment (90-day if not living on campus; otherwise 45-day) in order to secure your courses in case Post 9/11 is not applied by the payment deadline.