Skip to main content

Requesting Reliance on an Institution with whom UH does not have a Standing Reliance Agreement

If you wish to rely on another institution’s IRB for the review of a collaborative protocol and a reliance/reciprocity process is not already in place, please confer with the UH IRB office. The UH IRB office will collect information from you and the external IRB office to determine whether reliance on that institution is appropriate and possible. If so, the UH IRB Office will work with the external institution to secure a reliance agreement, and will guide you through the process (steps may vary from institution to institution).

Start working on an external study submission in the ICON online system; however, you must wait to submit it until a reliance agreement is secured and you receive the approval documents from that external IRB. Engagement in the research may only begin once the reliance has been formally acknowledged by the UH IRB office and you receive a letter through the ICON system informing you that research may begin. Please follow these instructions for completing an external IRB submission in ICON.