There are certain times of the year when non-restrictive parking is in effect. These relaxed parking rules allow anyone with a valid University of Houston parking permit to park in any non-restricted and non-covered space in any ungated lot, regardless of the day or time. This does not include the evening-weekend permit, which can only be used on campus after 3 p.m. Monday-Friday, and all day weekends. It also does not include the MWF and Tues-Thurs garage permits.
Relaxed parking is in effect:
- Spring break (entire spring break week)
- Thanksgiving break (3 p.m. Wednesday before Thanksgiving until 7 a.m. Monday).
- Winter break (3 p.m. on the last day of fall regular session 1 classes until 7 a.m. the first day of spring semester)
- Summer (3 p.m. on the last day of spring regular session 1 classes through the day prior to first day of fall classes)
- On the following holidays: MLK Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day and Labor Day
There are eight ungated lots on campus that do not allow overnight parking between the hours of 3 a.m. and 5 a.m. This map details the location of those lots. The relaxed parking rules DO NOT apply to these lots. If you park in these lots between 3 a.m. and 5 a.m. – even when relaxed parking is in effect – your vehicle will be towed.
Relaxed parking does NOT allow you to park in restricted spaces. Restricted spaces include:
- 20-minute unloading (unless it is for less than 20 minutes)
- Text-to-pay visitor spaces (unless you pay for it)
- Reserved spaces
- Accessible spaces (unless you have the proper permit/credentials)
- Fire lanes