The Department of Mathematics of the University of Houston offers an excellent environment to study mathematics and its applications. We have approximately 300 undergraduate majors, 80 graduate students, and the largest instructional mission on campus, with over 70,000 student credit hours offered each year, including over 10,000 student credit hours in online courses.
Our faculty is internationally recognized for research achievement and teaching, with excellent groups in Mathematical Biology, Computational Mathematics, Dynamical Systems and Mathematical Analysis. We are home to 2 Cullen Chair Professors, 1 M.D. Anderson Chair Professor, 1 Moore’s Chair Professor and a member of the French Academy of Sciences. In the 2010 NRC (National Research Council) Ranking of Mathematics Programs, our Department ranked 61st out of 127 programs, and it received particularly high scores for student satisfaction. In addition, our faculty members hold a large number of NSF grants and contracts from the Medical Center and Private Industry, and we received 3 of the 8 NARP awards given in Texas in 2010.
The Department of Mathematics offers programs leading to the degrees of Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.), Master of Science in Mathematics (M.S.M.), the Master of Science in Applied Mathematics (M.S.A.M.), Master of Arts in Mathematics (M.A.M), Bachelor of Sciences in Mathematics (B.S.) and Bachelor of Arts in Mathematics. In addition, the Departments of Mathematics and Biology offer a joint undergraduate degree in Mathematical Biology.
The Department of Mathematics publishes the Houston Journal of Mathematics, and is home to the Center for Mathematical Biosciences. It is a member of the Texas Center for Computational and Information Science, and the Gulf Coast Consortium. In addition, we are home to the Center for Academic Support and Assessment, and we are a strong partner and principle administrative office for the teachHOUSTON program.
The Mission, Values and Vision of the Department of Mathematics mimic those of the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics:
- Mission: We are committed to the success of our students, the pursuit of knowledge through fundamental and applied research, and continued engagement in community and professional service. The department is dedicated to cultivating an environment of intellectual growth and serving as a leader in innovative research.
- Core Values:
- Dedication to student success through academic excellence
- Outstanding teaching informed by research
- Innovative science and education with global impact
- Dynamic environment that fosters academic freedom and growth
- Collaborative and diverse community of faculty, staff and students
- Vision: By striving for excellence in science and education, building world-class research programs and fostering a culture of collaboration, the department will become a premier destination for students and faculty seeking to develop new knowledge as well as practical solutions to global challenges.
Whether you are a prospective faculty member, postdoctoral fellow, student, or donor, we hope you find our Department helpful and readily accessible. Please feel free to contact us for additional information.
Professor and Chair
Department of Mathematics