Evidence of Insurability (EOI)
Key Things to Know:
for Plan Year FY2021
- Applying for some optional benefits does not guarantee that coverage will be approved.
- Coverage that requires EOI:
- Optional Term Life Insurance enrollment and benefit increases
- Dependent Term Life Insurance enrollment
- Short-term Disability enrollment
- Long-term Disability enrollment
- Coverage that does NOT require EOI:
- HealthSelect of Texas enrollment
- Waive health insurance and selecting the Opt-Out Credit option
- Dental enrollment and changes
- Voluntary Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) Insurance enrollment and changes
- Optional Term Life Insurance enrollment of 1 or 2 times your annual salary only if you make this election within your first 30 days of employment.
- Decrease or drop coverage
What is the EOI Process?
- EOI process can only be initiated online
- Paper applications are no longer accepted
- All EOI requests are administered by the carrier currently contracted by ERS. This carrier changes from time to time. Go to the ERS website for the most up to date information.
- When you elect coverage that requires EOI you will receive a pop up EOI message directing you to click the Initiate the EOI Online Request link at the top of the page
- Once the Initiate EOI Online Request link is clicked, you select the coverage you want to enroll in, then you choose how you want to receive your EOI information.
- Email or U.S. Mail:
- If your email address is in ERS OnLine, you will receive an email with log in instructions and a link to their website to complete the online EOI application.
- If your email address is not in ERS OnLine, you will receive a letter with instructions for accessing the online application, as well as a pre-populated paper application.
- Email or U.S. Mail:
- You complete and submit either the online or the paper EOI application.
- If you complete the online application, you receive an immediate response of being approved or further underwriting required.
- If you complete a paper application, you mail or fax it to the address or fax number on the application. You will then receive a response within two weeks of being approved or further underwriting required.
- Members will be required to pay for any costs associated with producing the required documents to support the claim including provider charges for medical records.
- ERS receives the EOI approvals and enrolls employee and any dependents in EOI approved coverage.
- Employee approvals prior to 9/1/20, become effective 9/1/20. Coverage approved after 9/1/20 becomes effective the 1st day of the following month.