Congratulations on your acceptance to the College of Education at the University of Houston. Please refer to this page as you prepare for your first academic term.
The Office of Graduate Studies has compiled a list to help prepare you for your first day of class. Note: International students should visit the International Students and Scholar Services for additional information.
Contact your academic advisor listed on your offer letter prior to registering for your first term. Refer to the following websites as you plan for your first term at UH:
- myUH account
- Academic Advisor (Faculty or Professional)
- Courses and Enrollment
- University Graduate Catalog
- Graduate and Professional Student Orientation
- Submit official transcripts prior to enrollment - students are required to submit official transcripts to The Graduate School. UH will place a hold on your myUH account if you fail to submit an official transcript.
- Pick up your Cougar One Card - students can obtain a student identification card that serves as a multi-purpose ID that integrates a number of functions for daily usage around campus.
- Notify the Center for Student with DisABILITIES if you have any physical or learning disabilities - UH is committed to providing equal access to its programs and services. Visit the Center for Student DisABILITIES for more information.
- Receive your computer accounts - the University Information Technology provides computer accounts, email alias, and services to students enrolled in classes to support instructional, research, and administrative activites. Once you have enrolled in classes, you will receive an email about your new CougarNet account. Visit UIT for more information.
- University Services - the University of Houston offers numerous services to the graduate student community, such as student life, housing, health and wellness, and child care services.
Financial Aid and Billing
- Apply for Financial Aid - U.S. citizens and permanent residents should complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. For more information about the finanical aid process, visit the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid.
- Notify the University of any changes to your enrollment status - A change in enrollment status (full-time to part-time, for example) could affect your financial aid award. Speak with a finanical aid advisor in the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid to help with any questions or concerns.
- Review your billing and payment information - Before the UH billing systems issues your first e-bill, familiarize yourself with the system and set up any features in myUH. Information about the UH tuition, fees, and billing processes are found on the Office of Student Business Services webpage. You should also review payment plans, methods of payment, refund policy, and billing due dates.
College of Education
- Department Orientation - each degree program's Department will host an orientation. New students are encouraged to attend.
- MyAdvisor - MyAdvisor, created by the College, is an electronic interface used by students for electronic data storage and tracking required for graduation. MyAdvisor is available on the first day of class.
- Student Organizations - the College of Education offers graduate student organizations. Every student is encouraged to join and participate.