Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions About the College of Education Scholarship Application Process

Back to the Scholarship Application Page


  • Who is eligible to apply for a College of Education scholarship?
    • All scholarship applicants must be a current student or have been admitted to UH to apply. Additionally, each scholarship has requirements that applicants must meet as defined by the individual scholarship criteria; applicants do not have to determine their own eligibility.
  • How do I apply for multiple scholarships?
    • Applicants submit only one application. The Scholarship Committee will review each student's application and determine which College of Education scholarships are available for that applicant. Applicants may receive more than one scholarship.
  • How do I log in to the scholarship application? The application is closed.
    • Please note that you must be a current student or have been admitted to UH to apply for a College of Education scholarship. 
    • Make sure you have a Cougarnet account set up by UH Information Technology. Log in to the application using your Cougarnet credentials (these are tied to your UH email address). For example, if your email address is
      • CougarNet Username: jsmith1
      • CougarNet Password: xxxxxxxx
If you don’t know your username or password, use the CougarNet Password Wizard for help. Still unable to log in? Please submit a question to the College’s scholarship team, and we will get back to you within 48 hours during normal business operations.
  • Will you accept a hard copy of the scholarship application and required documents instead of the online application?
    • No. Only applications that have been submitted online with the required uploaded documents will be accepted. Applicants may access the application using the CITE computer lab in Farish Hall or the computer lab in the M.D. Anderson Library on campus. High school students may visit their school’s college counselor or an administrator for computer access.
  • When does the application open and close?
      • Opens: Typically, in January
      • Closes: Typically, in February
      • The online application is closed.
  • I will be starting classes as a new student in the upcoming semester. May I apply for a College of Education scholarship?
    • Yes, although not all of the scholarships are available to new students.
  • I will graduate in the upcoming spring. Do I qualify for a scholarship? 
    • If you are a current undergraduate student graduating in the upcoming spring semester AND have been admitted to pursue a degree in a graduate program at the College of Education, you may apply for a scholarship/fellowship for the fall semester as a graduate student.
    • Otherwise, no, students with anticipated graduation dates during the upcoming spring or summer semesters will not be considered.
    • For additional clarity, please submit a question to the College’s scholarship team.
  • I am a part-time student. Am I eligible for a scholarship?
    • Yes, a limited number of scholarships are available to part-time students. Most scholarships require students to be enrolled full time and in good standing with the University. Undergraduate students enrolled in 12 credit hours or more are considered full-time students. Graduate students enrolled in 6 credit hours or more are considered full time.
  • What GPA is required?
    • The University considers students to be in good academic standing with a minimum GPA of 2.0. However, GPA requirements vary for each scholarship. Please review the Available Scholarships page for each scholarships criteria.
    • Applicants do not determine their eligibility. The Scholarship Committee will determine an applicant's eligibility for each scholarship.
  • If I major in one area (e.g., mathematics) but my minor is in education, am I eligible for a College of Education scholarship?
    • Yes.

Financial need

  • How do I demonstrate that I am seeking a scholarship based upon financial need?
    • The College of Education encourages you to complete the online FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). Texas students who are ineligible to apply for FASFA may complete the TASFA (Texas Application for State Financial Aid). 

Documents to be submitted

  • Does my transcript have to be an official copy?
    • No. Current college students may go online to your student account and download an unofficial transcript. For current UH students, go to your account at AccessUH. Select myUH, Academic Records and then UH Official Transcript on the left menu to download an unofficial transcript.
    • High school students should submit an unofficial transcript from the most recent completed semester of their senior year. 
  • Do I need to provide written letters of recommendation?
    • No, simply provide names and contact information via the online application, and a recommendation form will be sent to your references.
    • Please contact your references to ask for their permission prior to listing them on your application. It is very important that they are able to meet the deadline.
  • Can I list someone outside of the University of Houston as a reference?
    • Yes. If you are a currently enrolled student or a new transfer student, you must have at least one college professor, advisor, academic mentor or staff member listed as reference; they can work at UH or a prior school. The second reference may be someone else familiar with you and your work such as teachers, other professors, school counselors, advisors, coaches, leaders of an organization you are associated with, or former or current employers. Incoming freshmen do not need a reference affiliated with a college.
  • What are best practices for asking someone to be a reference?
    • Ask potential references if they are comfortable and willing to write a letter of recommendation on your behalf far in advance of the deadline.
    • Choose individuals who can speak to your academic and/or professional work. You can share your academic and professional goals with the potential reference and let them know the importance of the scholarship to you. Let the reference know the deadline upfront and email them a friendly reminder before the deadline. At the end of the process, send your references a thank you message.

Award notification

  • How will I know whether or not I have been awarded a scholarship?
    • The notification letters will be sent to your email address on file in PeopleSoft in April after the Scholarship Committee has made its selections.
  • If awarded a scholarship, how will I receive the funds?
    • Student Financial Services will disburse the awarded funds to your student account at the beginning of the fall/spring academic year.
  • When can I access my award funds?
    • Funds are typically posted to students’ accounts within the first 30 days of the semester of the new academic year. Award letters display the amount received in full for the year. However, disbursements are made by semester. For example, if a student is awarded $5,000, $2,500 will be disbursed during the fall semester and the remaining will be disbursed in the spring semester unless otherwise indicated in your award letter.
  • What happens if I plan to graduate at the end of the fall semester or will not be enrolled in 12 credit hours for the awarded semester?

If you need additional help, please submit a question to the College’s scholarship team, and we will get back to you within 48 hours Monday through Friday.

Back to the Scholarship Application Page