Rosemary Segovia Torres Scholarship
This scholarship is funded by the Rosemary Segovia Torres Scholarship Endowment in loving memory of Rosemary Segovia Torres. The scholarship is awarded to an undergraduate student majoring in communication sciences and disorders who aspires to serve individuals with speech and language disorders.
More information »
This scholarship honors Rosemary Segovia Torres. It was established by her parents, Teressa Segovia Torres and Valentin V. Torres, Jr., in memory of their daughter, their only child, who died at 16 1/2 years of age on December 18th, 2002.
Rosemary was a junior at Sinai Apostolic Academy and played on their championship volleyball team. She was a unique and incredible young lady who had an unselfish spirit and a willingness to lend a helping hand to those in need. Furthermore, Rosemary was very sensitive to individuals with disabilities.
Her desire was to attend the University of Houston to begin her studies towards becoming a music therapist. She wanted to help individuals with speech and language impairments through music. Rosemary sang beautifully and played the piano as well. She became very excited when she discovered that she could use her musical talent to help others increase their speaking abilities.
- Eligibility: Full-time undergraduate students in good academic standing (3.0 or higher) who have been accepted into the COMD major. Preference will be given to students with demonstrated financial need based on information provided in the personal statement.
- Requirements: Completed application form including personal statement of goals and financial need.
- Award amount: $500
- Application deadline: October 31st
- Award date: Spring
Howard Family Inspiring Excellence Scholarships
This scholarship is funded by Sue Shirley and Richard Howard.
More information »
- Eligibility: Students applying to the COMD graduate program who plan to be full-time graduate students
- Award amount: minimum $500
- Application deadline: January 15 (with admission); Nominations made by admissions committee
- Award date: August of first semester in graduate program.
The University offers a variety of financial assistance packages to undergraduates and graduates. For further information, contact the UH Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid at 713.743.9090.