AAS Ambassadors Program
The AAS Ambassadors Program gives students the opportunity to pair their academic knowledge with professional development. The purpose of the AAS Ambassadors Program is to build their leadership experience and develop their communication skills. This is an opportunity for majors who are enthusiastic about African American Studies to communicate their pride with others, to meet professionals, and to receive mentoring.
Click here to apply
- 2.5 or higher GPA
- Must have taken or are currently enrolled in AAS 2320
- Must have a flexible schedule (some events occur on Saturdays and some on weekday evenings)
- Must be willing to become familiar with the AAS department and contribute ideas for programs
- Must have ability to take direction and willingness to develop communication and leadership skills
- Be registered as a full-time student at UH
AAS Ambassadors assist with recruitment of potential students, help with the organization of events, and represent the majors' perspectives and experiences at special events, including those where alumni, administrators, and potential donors are in attendance. More specifically, AAS Ambassadors may assist with both on- and off-campus recruiting events. They also may serve as a liaison between the Department and the students, provide ideas for ways to recruit new majors, and assist with the organization of a student-centered event. Ambassadors are often asked to take part in the AAS Graduation ceremonies. They are the first choice to represent the department at regional and national conferences.
Benefits for AAS Ambassadors
- Eligible to apply for one of our scholarships
- Provides opportunities to meet alumni and other professionals
- Provides an opportunity to develop leadership and communication skills
- Provides majors with an opportunity to strengthen professional skills
- Provides majors with an opportunity to build their resume
How to apply
To become an AAS Ambassador, majors must meet the qualifications above. In addition, applicants must complete the application below and write a 150-word letter of application describing why the applicant is an AAS major and why you interested in becoming an AAS Ambassador. Based on a review of materials, an interview will be scheduled with the AAS Chair.