Tuesday, March 7, 2023
12:00 PM - 1:00PM
The UH Day of Remembrance is historically held the first Tuesday in March each year to honor our Cougar Family – students, faculty, staff, alumni & friends of the University – that have died the previous calendar year.
This year, the ceremony will be held on Tuesday March 7, 2023 at 12pm in the University Chapel of the A.D. Bruce Religion Center. There will be a small reception in the Atrium, which is located on the second floor, following the ceremony.
During the service, four candles are lit by the respective leaders of the Student Government Association, Faculty Senate, Staff Council, and the UH Alumni Association.
At the conclusion of the service, there are twenty-seven chimes in tribute.
The tradition of the UH Day of Remembrance...
- The 27 tolls represent the year of the founding of the University of Houston
- The annual service is historically held the first Tuesday in March
- March 2, 1793 – Sam Houston's birth date
- March 3, 1845 – US President John Tyler signs the annexation bill to admit Texas into the Union
- March 7, 1927 – Houston School Board approves and establishes the University of Houston.
To RSVP: If you can attend in-person, please RSVP by filling out our form by Friday March 3, 2023. If you are unable to join us in-person, we will be live streaming the ceremony, and it will be available on the A.D. Bruce Religion Center website.
The UH Day of Remembrance is presented by the Campus Ministries Association and the A.D. Bruce Religion Center. Support is also provided by the Division of Student Affairs, Student Centers, Student Government Association, UH Alumni Association, Office of Development, Human Resources, and the Dean of Students Office.
We are currently updating our remembrance booklet. If you know of a UH community member (student, faculty, staff or alumni) who has passed away in 2022 calendar year, please feel free to send firstname.lastname@example.org the following information:
- Name (Last, First) (Middle name or initial if known)
- Year of Graduation
We also know that 2022 has continued to be a challenging year and many of us have suffered loss and have grieved for those close to us who we have lost. We would like to provide a space where those community members can be recognize and remember on our 2023 UH Day of Remembrance Padlet. This picture memorial is for students, faculty, staff, alumni and friends of the university to share images of those lost in 2022.
How to use the Padlet Page
- Submit pictures
- Please include the person's name, year of graduation (if applicable) or any thoughts of remembrance.
- Your Name (Last, First)
- Relationship to UH Community member
Jacoby, Taylor - Close friend of Peter Sawyer
- Silva, Lilly - Loving mother of Maria Silva
All submitted pictures will need to be reviewed for approval before they can be viewed on the padlet page.