The A.D. Bruce Religion Center Speak Series provides the UH community an opportunity to learn more about Faith, Religion and Spirituality in framework not often discussed. The various speakers will invite you into a discussion that will introduce a new perspective while also acknowledging the complexities of navigating societal issues from a faith-based perspective.
Thursday, November 9, 2023
- Topic: Crosses & Turntables: Christianity's Influence on Hip-Hop
- In Collaboration with African American Studies & Industry Greats
- Doors Open at 5:30 pm
- Time: 6:00 pm-7:00 pm
- Join us for an engaging and thought-provoking panel discussion that explores the dynamic relationship between Christianity and hip-hop culture. Crosses & Turntables brings together industry greats, artists, and scholars to explore the ways in which Christianity has influenced and continues to shape the world of hip-hop culture.
- Watch the live stream here.
Topic: How Mindfulness Can Help Students Achieve Academic Excellence and Improve Well-being
- Speaker: Dr. Rev. Thich Hang Dat (Trung Huynh)
- Mindfulness practice includes present-focused awareness, acceptance, nonjudgment, and being kind toward oneself and others. Studies showed that mindfulness practice can serve as an extremely powerful protective factor against mental health challenges, i.e., stress, anxiety, depression, and others. Join this speaker series to learn how mindfulness practice can help you improve mental well-being and be successful in school.
Topic: ON SIN & SALVATION: Navigating the Christian and Islamic Traditions to Find Truth
- Speakers: Fahad Tasleem & Thabiti Anyabwile
Topic: Sacred Fire: Preparing for Healing & Reconciliation
- Speaker(s): Laura Marshall Clark and Claire Mummert
- Indigenous peoples of the Gulf Coast region inhabited these lands for thousands of years before first contact with Europeans. Join us as we explore together the impact of the troubled history of Texas, the great loss of Native American lives, and the erasure of tribal cultures
- View the Sacred Fire Flyer
Topic: De-mystifying Divination: African Spirituality in the Americas
- Speaker: Carlie Pierre
- A discussion on the history of African spirituality throughout the Americas, common myths, and inclusive practices when learning about religious and non-religious spirituality outside of the Western civilization.
Topic: Abortion in Jewish Law
- Speaker(s): Rabbi Kenny Weiss, Houston Hillel Executive Director and Lecturer in Jewish Studies at the University of Houston
- An overview of abortion in Jewish law from the perspective of traditional and liberal Jewish authorities.